Sunday 3 February 2019

Walk: Dracula Meets Jack the Ripper (with Dacre Stoker)

Today, I was finally back with Spooky London, for Dracula Meets Jack the Ripper (with Dacre Stoker). Apparently, Dacre is the great grandnephew of the famous Bram Stoker, who wrote Dracula - and the premise is that Jack the Ripper was his inspiration! I've missed lots of interesting events with this group - delighted to be back with them, promised to be fun.

Well, I overslept - needed it obviously! I still had time to get there, but only just: and our upstairs toilet at home being blocked yet again didn't help. So, I got myself ready, and set off at a burning pace to walk to the Ibis London City, outside which we were to meet. Not a pleasant stroll, this - with the sun in my eyes, pushing past slow-moving crowds of tourists - nonetheless, I made it with five minutes to spare. Go me!

Hem. I guess it was that there was a writer there - but I developed the impression that this was a talk. Nope, a walk - and you'll never guess who was heading it, but Trevor. Yes, of Chronicles fame. He came over to say hi! Well, I was finally going to get to see him at work with a large group - and I'm happy to say he's a past master. This is obviously something he's good at. Hope I get to see this skill again soon!


More photos here. So, this was kind of a Jack the Ripper tour, with Dracula references - Dacre Stoker contributed at a couple of stops:


Now, I've been on a Jack the Ripper tour before. I'll say this, though - it wasn't half as much fun as this one! Yes, we got the gory details, and were led down many sinister alleys throughout Whitechapel. We also got Trevor's inimitable showmanship, as he delighted in playing to the crowd. Never had a more entertaining walk!


Bitterly cold it was, as he handed around photos at the various stops and we wended our way in circles, ending up near Aldgate. We'd started at a more relaxed pace, but nearer the end we were moving at a fair whack, eager to get indoors - this tour had been nearly three hours long! Happily, "indoors" turned out to be very close to our last stop. The Brown Bear was cosy, warm, and friendly. Awful house white, I have to say - but the tastiest cheese n onion crisps I've ever had! As I say, great to see Trevor again, great to meet Spooky London again - may it not be too long before my next outing with either. And on my way back, I was rather glad to be far enough away from my destination, now, to get a bus..

Back to film tomorrow - not Oscar-nominated, for once! With a choice between Burning and If Beale Street Could Talk, I went for the former - fancying the ominous soundtrack on the trailer. Happily, it's in the Vue Islington, which I can walk to! and nice and early - and, as of now, I don't have an evening meeting that day.. I booked, which is always cheaper with Vue.

That's my last film for a while. On Tuesday, my very first Meetup with the London Chamber Music group, finally. Well, they usually clash with something else! Delighted to make it at last. We're off to a concert in Wigmore Hall, and the organiser personally messaged me to let me know what he'd be wearing, and where he'd be, and expressed his hope that we'd meet.

The next three events are with Up in the Cheap Seats! Great chance to catch up with people. On Wednesday, I'm going with them to The American Clock by Arthur Miller, at the Old Vic. I see London Dramatic Arts is also going, and sitting in the stalls - I guess we won't be mixing much.

On Thursday, to Aspects of Love, at Southwark Playhouse. Based on an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. And on the event organiser's recommendation, I bought a subscription to the theatre, which entitles me to five tickets, and has no time limit - used the first for this, which made it very good value! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 11th, I'm with the group again, for another Arthur Miller play - this time, it's The Price, at Wyndham's. Oh, and for two of these, I could have used my Seatplan vouchers, which arrived last week. If I'd had them with me. Never mind - I hadn't been expecting to book so much so soon, but they don't expire anyway.

And on the 12th, Let's Do This is off to Tango Fire at the Peacock. They booked a box, so had a very limited number of seats, and I wasn't in time for theirs - but I got my own ticket, and have agreed to meet them for a drink afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment