Wednesday 20 February 2019

Restaurant: Tas

Last night was supposed to be a show called Bare: A Pop Opera, at The Sainsbury Theatre. With Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again, and the organiser was there on Monday. Ah.. but da boss was back from holiday yesterday.. and I'd ordered a case of wine for the office, which had finally arrived (late).. so that was that.

Tonight, I was back with Let's Do This for another meal at Tas, meeting at The George again beforehand. This one, I wasn't going to miss - for one thing, only two of us had signed up! Plus, these meals are always enjoyable - the host is an excellent one. So I told my boss as much - and indeed, after last night's session, he was in no mood for a repeat performance so soon! So I headed off.

By virtue of trotting a short distance, I made a bus early enough that I got to The George first of any of us. Was just queueing at the bar - and lo, in walks our host! Now there's timing. Well, he took a look at the scrum for the bar - and had an idea. He led me to the outside bar - see, there's one bar where they serve you through the window. And gee, there was hardly any queue. He very kindly bought me a drink, and we repaired back inside, grabbing one side of an under-occupied table. Which was where our companion found us. And we had a convivial chat until it was time for us to leave.


Tas is just down the road, and after a scarifying crossing, we got there slightly early. They wanted to put us in the deserted cellar - but our host had, apparently, asked specifically to be seated upstairs, and so we took a seat on the comfy sofa at reception, and they soon had one for us. I was starving after my session last night, and wolfed down the bread that was brought - and a lot of the second bowl that replaced it.

We all ate from the special price menu, all had meze to start, and indeed, they were all different! And lovely. I particularly recommend the mantar (mushrooms with various toppings). For main course, I decided on lamb "patties" - which didn't have a patty shape, but were good - ever so slightly spicy. And we all cleared our plates. The ladies had desserts - my chocolate cake finished me off nicely, with a nice salted dusting of cocoa powder. And one of my companions had gorgeous-smelling mint tea.

We'd been asked to bring cash, for convenience - unfortunately, the cash machine en route to work had been broken when I'd passed, and I'd forgotten to get any cash later. Never mind, it all worked out ok - and very reasonably priced. I also managed a couple of glasses of wine - well, at least this time it was mixed with food! A lovely evening, and lovely to see this pair again. May it not be long till the next time.

Tomorrow, I'd have loved to go with UITCS for Season 7, the last of Pinter at the Pinter. Unfortunately, when I checked, although they still had tickets - they were either standing or a minimum price of £93 for that night. Nah, don't really want to go that badly! Never mind, the London European Club is off to a concert of French Chansons: The Sparrows of Paris, at Old Mary's. That's a most acceptable choice! But now I've cancelled, as da boss is planning another drinking session. To be fair, these are stressful times at work, and after a difficult day of meetings, he'll probably need it. And while I'd be interested in the concert, I'm not familiar with the venue, and a frightful number of people have signed up for it - it could be very crowded. Plus it's all the way across town. I have no qualms about skipping it, especially as it's free.

Then I'm back to Ireland at the weekend again. And on Monday, I am back with UITCS to Sadler's Wells for Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch! This time though, it's Bon Voyage, Bob. And with cheaper tickets in the back row of each of the lower levels, I'm in the stalls for the first time in ages! Annoying overhang, but hey, they're the cheapest seats, and I get to avoid all those stairs, for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment