Sunday 15 May 2016

Walk: Fire, Pestilence and Plague

The most interesting thing to come up for today was a walk called "Fire, Pestilence and Plague" (!), run by Free London Events and Talks. Well, the forecast was good, and I woke today to glorious sunshine - just the day to restart my walking for the year!

The walk was to start from The Monument, built to denote the starting place of the Great Fire of London, and the ever-useful 344 would take me all the way there. As I approached the stop, I mused that the single worst thing about catching buses is seeing the bus leaving the stop just as you approach. And as I rounded the corner, my bus departed the bus stop, just across the road. Typical. Well anyway, I was early, and took a seat to wait.

When the next bus came, I ended up sitting upstairs - my, but it's a while since I've done that! Alighted at Monument, took the subway to cross the road (skirting the homeless man sleeping there) and shortly found myself at The Monument itself. Where I also found Mary, whom I know from the Man with the Hat's groups, and who was on the walk today. Which was nice - it was good to have someone to talk to.

The start time had been set a bit earlier than actual departure time, to make sure people got there. Good idea - it's hard to make it across London for a deadline. The chatty guide appeared, complete with green umbrella, as promised - and we waited. And the sun grew hotter.. I was so glad I'd decided against a coat! Did wonder whether I shouldn't have brought a hat, though.

When we started, we started with a vengeance. I can honestly say that I've never seen a guide more informed, more enthusiastic about his subject. He led us on a brisk, two-hour trek through the City, and apart from the advertised "fire, pestilence and plague", deluged us with titbits about every part of town we were passing through. And as for the route! I've been in many of these parts of town before, but never down many of the back alleys and sidestreets that he used. Fabulous! Nothing like exploring - and London always has more to explore.

Photos here - apologies, a couple need rotating, but Facebook seems to have removed that feature. I've complained - it may get fixed. And keep an eye on the Meetup page, above, for more photos to be uploaded - I was having great fun snapping away until my phone camera just - died! Working again now, at least. Anyway, this was a fantastic way to spend the afternoon. I was delighted to tip him at the end - as were most, I think.

He deposited us at St. Paul's.. with no internet on my phone, in that area, I had only a vague idea how to get home. So, I meandered off that way.. and then caught sight of the Millennium Bridge, and thought to myself - I know how to get from there to The Globe, I know how to get from The Globe to where to catch my bus.. why don't I do that? And so I did, and had a wonderful time - it's probably my favourite part of town, and in the sunshine it was irresistible. As I passed the Globe, I even passed the queue of groundlings, waiting in the sun to get the best spaces by the stage for this evening's performance - goodness, just like a rock concert! My bus pulled away from the stop as I approached - again. And as I waited for the next bus, the bells of Southwark Cathedral chimed to keep me company. And I renewed my love affair with London. Roll on the summer!

I'd have loved to have eaten out, but I had food at home that would've gone off, so I came home instead. Tomorrow, Henning from the London European Club is running a topical talk on UK and the EU - A Troubled Relationship, at the Devereux - deja vu, my very first Meetup with him was a talk at the same place. Should be interesting, what with the referendum coming up next month. Unfortunately, I'm in Guildford, and it's at 7 - we'll see.

On Tuesday, the Man with the Hat is taking Let's Do London - for less! to see Last of the Boys, at Southwark Playhouse - indeed, he's also got a bunch of them going to the other show there, The Toxic Avenger, the same night! I've already seen that one, of course. And I can guarantee attendees a great night..

On Wednesday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, at The Forge, for a storytelling evening entitled The Howken Field, by Nick Hennessy.

On Thursday, I'm with Henning again, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. I may have to work from home that day - it's another 7 o' clock start. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete