Monday 23 May 2016

Restaurant: Nuala's

Flew back to London yesterday - but with their summer schedule having later flights to London, we had time to head out for something to eat, first. Saturday had been in Quin - so, yesterday, we decided on Nuala's. For variety.

The weather was nothing if not varied - brilliant sunshine alternated with torrential showers. Well, that kept it interesting. And we were lucky to get the last parking spot in front of the pub - gee, it's ages since I parallel parked. Sure enough, inside the pub was crammed. We happened to meet the owner at that moment, who suggested we take a table for two in the restaurant - same menu, so we agreed.

The table was at the restaurant door - but not much passing customer traffic bothered us. We were a bit perplexed at the wobbly table, until the owner came and rescued us by just moving it over a bit - must be an issue with the floor, just there! Meanwhile, we admired the stone-effect wall covering - a result of the tv makeover they had, details of which were broadcast earlier in the year. Whether that affected business, I can't say - but it was booming yesterday.

The Sunday lunch menu is concise, and supplemented by a board of specials. Well, their soup is always good, so I had that, and I was delighted to see that the excellent cornflake chicken was also still on the menu. And there was salmon on the specials menu, so my mother was happy. Service was quick and friendly, and as we waited for our food we perused the placemats, posters on the walls, photos.. plenty about the history of the area, and definitely a contender eatery to bring Helen to, when she visits next month.

The soup was delicious - slightly spicy, on this occasion. The mash that accompanied our mains was pleasantly flavoured, and we polished off our meals happily - slightly slower towards the end, as we filled up. It's a very pleasant atmosphere too, and we'd have liked to stay for dessert - but that flight beckoned. Generally, you'd pay at the bar - but she kindly brought the bill to our table so we could avoid the queue. It's a pity we don't get here more often - but great to see they're doing so well!

And so back to London. Should be a nice, easy evening - I don't anticipate being kept late at work, and Sing Street doesn't start until 8:10 - at my local cinema. And it's an easy drive, with free parking after 7. Goodee, I've been longing for an easy event! The film itself is the third in a theme by John Carney - musical underdogs, basically, and with this one, harking back to his big debut, Once, also set in Dublin in the 80s. I see Maria Doyle Kennedy also shows up in this.

For tomorrow, I nabbed a cheap ticket to a piano concert at Wigmore Hall. On Wednesday, I'm back with the Man with the Hat, who's taking London for Less than a Tenner to the (not-so) Top Secret Comedy Club. Now, I've only been there once before, and hated it - but that was just the line-up on the night, and I have higher hopes for this. (Hey, just saw on the website that they have a money-back guarantee - where was that when I went?!)

On Thursday, I'm off to what should be an excellent night with the Crick Crack Club - Trickster, at Rich Mix, stars no fewer than three storytellers, two of whom I know to be excellent: Tuup and Clare Muireann Murphy. And on Friday, I'm (so far, unless I get a better offer) headed back with the CLOGgies, finally, for a Royal Parks & Palaces Evening Walk. I did enjoy that group, the one time I was with them - they just usually clash with other stuff! The bank holiday weekend is, otherwise, so far undetermined..

No comments:

Post a Comment