Thursday 19 May 2016

Storytelling: The Howken Field

Ah, the Crick Crack Club. Wouldn't miss one of their events if I could help it, and they had one last night - with Nick Hennessy, which made it all the better. So I booked.

I was in Guildford, but the traffic obliged, and I was in time to get the Overground to Camden Road. I didn't manage to pick up a paper for the long trip - but spent the time dozing instead; it's been a tiring few days! And it was handy that I had a seat at the end of a row, and could lean my head on the post.

Groggily, I got off at Camden Road. Hadn't bothered to look up my route - but I remembered it pretty well; take a right, continue to the complicated junction at Camden Town Tube Station, and bear left for Camden High Street. The Forge is a short way down, on the right - beside the Blues Kitchen, at the corner of Delancey Street. Inside, I could see people were already going in to the performance space at the back, and made my way straight to the desk, where she checked the list for my name (I was the first entry!) and stamped my hand. I got a seat near the front, then noticed someone had a glass of wine. I'd forgotten that, like Southwark Playhouse, you can bring in drinks here - I nipped out again and got one.

Nick Hennessy plays the harp, and sure enough, there was one ready on stage for him - along with a drum, and a guitar that belonged to his companion on stage, Hannah Sanders, whose cds were on sale at the ticket desk. After the customary "crick-crack" ritual, we were told that the first part would be shorter than the second - and we were off.

The theme of the night was The Howken Field - stories of the lawless "debateable lands" between England and Scotland, whose ownership was disputed in the Middle Ages. And so, in the first section we were led through a collection of story songs - Hannah on the guitar, Nick on the harp and, briefly, the drum - that told of battles, of love and loss.

The interval came as something of a relief - oh, the performance was fine, but the room was stifling! and felt all the more by an audience that had, for the most part, dressed warmly because of the cold night outside. At least they opened the doors now, and allowed some air to circulate. The performers set up chairs for themselves for the longer, second part, and Hannah disappeared briefly to get a refill of ice water for themselves. For my part, I was stuck in a very snug seating arrangement, with people both in front of me and behind wriggling with discomfort in the heat. Not ideal - I hope they get the heating right as we come into summer.

The second part was the actual story of The Howken Field - which had three substories (all the best things come in threes), all telling of love, loss and resolution. The harp music was sublime, and Hannah had brought out some kind of old guitar (I'm guessing), which she now used in preference to the other. But it was Nick who did the storytelling, his love of the subject shining through. At the end, we were told of upcoming events (yep, I'm there!) and disgorged into the night, whose chilliness was a blessing.

I had back luck with the Overground - oh, I got home all right, but the trains only run about every 15 minutes, and I had just missed one, and had 14 minutes to wait. Which was very boring, without paper, or a phone - it had died. So I paced the platform until the train arrived. And after about 9pm, they don't run direct to Clapham Junction, either - you have to change at Willesden Junction. Then again, the trains from Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction only run every half hour.. so only every second train to Willesden Junction connects with a train to Clapham Junction.. and I was on the wrong one. So I had to wait for a full 23 minutes there - in the waiting room, it being now too cold to pace the platform. So I sat there, and listened to the man in the suit beside me have a business conversation in French in an African accent, on his mobile.

Too tired to blog, when I got home, and too busy this morning! And now I have a rush to get ready for this evening - I'm with Henning in the London European Club, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. He's suggested we meet at 6 - mind you, last time he suggested that, it was 6:15 when he showed - so I won't be in too much of a rush, particularly as I have to eat first. And then it's back to Ireland tomorrow for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment