Thursday 26 May 2016

Top Secret Comedy Club

First things first - we had a leaving lunch yesterday for one of our team, and I guess he was the one who chose the White Hart. Certainly wasn't me - I'm not mad about it. Anyway, it transpired that he hadn't brought his car - so to get everyone out there, I needed to drive. Which was just lovely, as I'd never driven that way before! I did print out a map and directions, but didn't fancy driving .. In the event, I ended up following another of the cars, so it was quite easy.

We'd booked a table, which was ready for us. They brought one menu too few, but we managed. And I fancied the southern fried chicken and chips basket, with jalapeno mayo - and coleslaw, but honestly I don't like coleslaw with a hot meal, too much of a contrast. Others ordered a variety of dishes - fish n chips, burgers (beef or chicken, and you can choose how you want the beef cooked), a small risotto (which, when it came, looked large enough). No starters, no desserts, no alcohol apart from the guy who leaves tomorrow - how frugal we are!

The basket was a real, wireframe one, which we admired. The southern fried chicken was burnt - the coating, at least, although the meat itself was ok. The chips were good, so was the mayo - although for something apparently made from jalapenos, I'd have expected it hotter. Never mind, it was fine, and I polished it all off. Still though, it's the little things about this place that niggle - for instance, although they came around with a jug of water at the start, why didn't they leave one on the table so we could have more if we chose, without having to chase someone down? Which is hard enough here.

And so to the evening. I love the Man with the Hat's groups, always try to go with them if I can. Now, he's forever taking London for Less than a Tenner off to Top Secret Comedy.. I've passed on it several times already though. Nothing to do with the venue, really - although when I was there before, I found the mc / owner's turns on stage really annoying. And the line-up was dire. I walked out halfway through.

But that was then. And I was delighted when I didn't hate the lineup he posted for last night. So I booked! Some dire threats followed about tying me to my chair so I couldn't walk out again - (sigh*) Aren't some folks very pessimistic? Anyway, being in Guildford again, I was sure I wouldn't make the 7 o' clock start. Which was a shame, because I do really like Russell Hicks, who previewed both last night and the time I was there before. He's free, BTW - you can just come to see him, then leave and not pay for the rest. Which really is the best value comedy in town..

Now, I'm working on a theory that the sunshine we've been having has vapourised the traffic. There just plain weren't any problems at all getting back! So there I was on a train to Waterloo, dead early. Google Maps said the quickest thing I could do was to get the 521 bus to Holborn Station, then walk around the block. Further up the road from Stops C & F - Stop H sits in glorious isolation, nearer the IMAX. And only serves the 521.

Wouldn't you know, one approached just as I got close to the stop! Destination London Bridge - seems the wrong direction, but looking at the map, the route is quite circular. So I hopped on - with one other person. The only ones on the bus, whose terminus is here. And at Holborn, I hopped off - with the other person. Who also turned down Parker Street - handily enough, with the traffic, the driver let us off exactly at the junction, rather than further up. By now, it was seeming as though there was a conspiracy to make me early.

End of the road, turn right onto Drury Lane. Keep going until you get to the entrance to Top Secret - you can tell where it is by the big "TOP SECRET" signs on the entrance. So you don't miss it. Down the stairs, I gave my name to the man at the desk - the owner - who stamped my hand. Still hasn't come off properly. Went to get a (reasonably priced) drink at the uncrowded bar, and just had to drop a tip in the glass with the note on it that said that, for every tip, Justin Bieber died a little. Joined the other group members who'd arrived, and we were off.

The owner proved himself mildly annoying as we prepared for Russell Hicks to appear, by making us move up to occupy the front rows. I got away with Row 3.. I'm not a huge fan of being part of a stand-up comedy routine. Then Russell arrived, and did his standard thing - bouncing off the audience. A good comedian should be able to deal with hecklers - he positively encourages them, builds his act around them. Sadly, he had a hard time with our quiet and genteel lot, spending the better part of an hour trying to get them to be rowdy. Poor fellow. But what he does, he does really well, and we did really enjoy it. Which is why I agreed with him when he complained, towards the end of his set, that the doors had been opened for the main show and the equivalent of a cocktail party was happening down the back, the noise drowning him out. I know he's free, but he deserves better.

The noise was a bit off-putting, but nonetheless I queued at the bar for another drink, before the (paid-for) acts came on. And queued and queued - 10 minutes I was there, having obviously chosen the bad end of the bar. What the hey, towards the end of my queueing, they put Lose Yourself on the soundtrack - one of my all-time favourite songs, and good timing, before I attacked anyone.

The page did say the list was subject to change.. and change it did. I think the only originally scheduled comic who actually showed was Olaf Falafel, a rather funny Swede with an impressive beard. But guess what? I stayed for the whole thing! Wasn't quite as enthusiastic about some acts, but no-one cheesed me off enough to make me walk. Hit of the night - with someone else from the group as well, it seems - was Joel Dommett. It's pot luck, this show - not only do you not necessarily know who'll be on, but they're trying new material. The Man with the Hat assures me that the standard tends to be quite high in general, though. On the way out, the owner was stood there with a bucket, and membership cards (free entry for a year) to give out with donations. I really didn't have any change, honest..

We congregated outside, but only a few of us schlepped off to the pub - funnily enough, another White Hart! A spacious seating area at the back was practically empty, and they close late, so we had a good hour and a half there, not leaving till midnight. (Wine was 50p cheaper than at the club, but still good value.) And had a lovely time. Although one in particular was fading as the night wore on.. Anyway, a great night; sadly, with a holiday coming up, it's some weeks before I have another event booked with them. But I'll be looking forward to that..

Lunch today, in sunny Guildford, was in Heart and Soul, up the road from the office. Service has improved here, I notice - used to be murderously slow. They didn't have any white wine (we went with rose), and mixed up the table numbers - but the (deep-dish) chicken and bacon pizza is excellent, as is the garlic bread. Don't come if you're in a rush, mind.

Tonight, I'm off to what should be an excellent night with the Crick Crack Club - Trickster, at Rich Mix, stars no fewer than three storytellers, at least two of whom I know to be excellent: Tuup and Clare Muireann Murphy. Tomorrow, I was supposed to be headed back with the CLOGgies, finally, for a Royal Parks & Palaces Evening Walk. I did enjoy that group, the one time I was with them - they just usually clash with other stuff! Then I changed my mind - and now, with brilliant sunshine outside, I'm thinking of changing it back. And on Saturday, I'm headed with the London European Club to an exhibition on Sicily: Culture and Conquest, at the British Museum. I know Sicily has a fascinating history, so I'll be interested in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment