Tuesday 17 May 2016

Talk: UK and the EU - A Troubled Relationship

Last night saw me attend only my second ever talk given by Henning, in the London European Club. The subject was UK and the EU - A Troubled Relationship, and it sounded interesting: and topical, what with the Brexit referendum approaching next month.

It was scheduled for 7 - and when I got one of those scary LEC emails earlier in the day, with dire warnings of expulsions if we didn't show up, I was nervous, given that I was in Guildford. I can fully understand their position - I've been in Meetups before where people just didn't bother to show, and organisers were out of pocket; and last night's event was booked out, with, apparently, a long waiting list. Still, the tone of these warnings is off-putting..

Mind you, when I read the Meetup page more closely, it turned out that the talk itself wouldn't start until 7:30, although the room was being set up from 6:30. So I relaxed at that point. And wouldn't you know it, traffic was light for once, and I got home in plenty of time. The quickest way to the Devereux was to take a train to Waterloo, then a bus. At Clapham Junction, a train quickly presented itself, and wouldn't you know it, as I approached Stop C at Waterloo, a 76 was just pulling up! Was I ever satisfied with myself as it pulled away with me on it..

Alighting at the Royal Courts of Justice, I knew I had to cross the road - and Google Maps said to go down Devereux Court. Great - except it's practically invisible:



Had to look carefully to see it. Never mind - if you couldn't, you could just go down Essex Street, to the right, and turn around the back of The Edgar Wallace. Oh, I love the Temple district - full of little nooks and alleyways.

And so to the Devereux, which was practically deserted - but I remembered it from before, and knew the talk would be upstairs. I ordered a drink, paid by card, and was slightly annoyed to be presented immediately with a suggestion of a gratuity - for goodness' sake, I was only just in the door! Anyway, drink in hand, I went in search of the upstairs. Remembered going to the other outside door, so went that way again - only to remember, when I got there, turning back because that was the wrong way. So I did that again, made my way around to the other side of the bar, and went through the door marked "Restaurant".

Sure enough, the upstairs room used for talks is a restaurant in another life. Now, this doesn't work terribly well in practice - I've been in plenty of rooms above pubs, used for different functions, and one that's a restaurant has a problem that others don't - tables. Fine if you're eating off them - not so much if you're trying to cram into what became a very crowded room, to see a presentation and listen to a talk. For goodness' sake, a worker had to push her way through at some point, and it would've been easier to suspend her on a pulley system hung from the ceiling..

The prelude to the talk had a slideshow - what looked like a YouTube compilation - of attractive European landscapes. Lovely - although if you got there quite early, as I did, and were watching them for over half an hour, they did become a bit samey. Mountains, lakes, waterfalls, beaches - and recycle. Some pretty towns too, but if I had to see another waterfall..

So it was a relief when the talk began. Henning's talks are well researched, and this was no exception - he'd done his homework, and presented us with a summarised history of what was to become the European Union, from the end of the Second World War. An interesting story, always with a nod to Britain's role: he described how a desire to curb Germany's chances of starting yet another war led to the formation of the European Coal and Steel Community, which aimed to pool the continent's coal and steel resources, so that no one country could build up its stock - which would be essential for warmongering.

Of course, this grew to become the European Economic Community, which is what I always remember it as. And he explained how the UK was in a stronger state than Continental Europe after the war, and didn't see a need to join any union - but how the EEC's economic power grew, and it duly became more attractive. The UK applied for membership, but was blocked by De Gaulle - partly because he was suspicious of Britain's strong ties to the US. They eventually joined in 1973 - just as Europe's fortunes took a downturn.

As Henning pointed out, mainly the timing of events was unfortunate. At this point, however, the discussion turned towards economics, and my brain turned itself off - never been of any interest to me, I'm afraid. Unlike many of the audience, who - as you might expect - were well informed. I did appreciate the slide of graphs that he reluctantly displayed at the end - as he said, they were open to misinterpretation, but did show the UK's healthy position, relative to other EU members, in terms of contributions, net contributions, contributions as percentage of GDP.. as an ex-statistician, graphs are something I can understand.

I left at the break. Had a long, cold wait at the bus stop - although the display said the bus was due, I was there for at least 10 minutes! At least the nearby church bells kept me entertained with Oranges and Lemons. And the 87 took me all the way home - including a small diversion. Early enough to go to bed - not to blog.

Tonight, the Man with the Hat is taking Let's Do London - for less! (including me) to see Last of the Boys, at Southwark Playhouse - indeed, he's also got a bunch of them going to the other show there, The Toxic Avenger, also tonight! I've already seen that one, of course. And I can guarantee attendees a great night..

Tomorrow, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, at The Forge, for a storytelling evening entitled The Howken Field, by Nick Hennessy. Could be fun getting to it - I'm in Guildford again, and a train strike is threatened, which means the Overground will be busy..

On Thursday, I'm with Henning again, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. I'll work from home that day - it's another 7 o' clock start. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete