Tuesday 10 May 2016

Storytelling: Kali

I actually had something else booked for last night - but I wasn't that pushed about it, and when the Crick Crack Club advertised a event, I was there! Booked my ticket - they tend to sell out, plus I knew I'd definitely want to go. And Soho Theatre doesn't charge booking fees.

Of the two passengers I usually give a lift to work, one wasn't coming yesterday. The other's been on holiday for the past two weeks - well, yesterday he came back with a vengeance! Typically, upon his return to London he has to be somewhere for a certain time; well, to be fair, so do I, generally. I was to be glad I'd picked yesterday to come to Guildford - specifically because my event had a late start (I can work from home two days a week). We were delayed leaving the office (his meeting overran) and as we approached London, he asked whether I could run him all the way home.. it's a bit out of my way, but I had time. And as we drove further and further away from my home, I was very glad I was early for the event! Mercifully, on the return journey, my phone battery stayed active just long enough to get me home - I got lost twice, but corrected myself using a maps app.

And so, straight into town - train to Victoria, Tube to Oxford Circus and walk. I made the theatre with five minutes to spare - at the box office, they didn't even bother asking me what show I was there for: just my surname and postcode. After the long, long climb to the Upstairs theatre, there were plenty of ushers to show us to available seats, and I ended up with one in the front row. Found myself beside someone who took thorough notes all through the first half, but didn't seem to return for the second - maybe she had all the material she needed!

The show was Kali. Now, I've heard a lot of Celtic stories, a lot of Sufi stories - not a lot of Hindu ones, though - this made a lovely change. There was a small shrine in the corner, a platform, a long bench. And two ladies who stepped out from the backdrop - an Indian lady, Sheema Mukherjee, in Indian garb and with a third eye painted on her forehead: and an Englishwoman called Emily Hennessy. Now, a couple of times with this group, I've seen a storyteller called Nick Hennessy, and wondered at the coincidence - sure enough, as we were told at the end, she's his wife! Gosh, that must make for interesting evenings over their place! :-)

Sheema took up a perch on the bench, and positioned an enormous sitar on her lap. Emily Hennessy took the foreground, ankles jingling as she walked, from the bells strapped to them. And with her words and movement, and the ethereal music coming from the bench, tales were woven - of Brahma (creator), Vishnu (protector), and Shiva (destroyer). And of others - Sati, Parvati.. and Kali. And more.

It's a a fantastically rich tale. But Emily took us effortlessly through it, explaining step by step how the world came to be, and where these deities came from. She also made it so visual, her story accentuated by Sheema. And we were enthralled.. as I say, I haven't heard much of this folklore before, but with these expert storytellers, I'd be happy to learn everything there is to be learned. Apparently, this show has been in preparation for years.. it was evidently time well spent. I hear they're planning something in the British Museum, towards the end of the year - definitely one to look out for. At the interval, those who hadn't stepped out for a drink - including water, which was kindly provided outside the door - were given flowers; at the end, we could leave these on the shrine, either in honour of Kali, goddess of power, or of Ganesh, god of new beginnings..

Despite all I have to do these days, this was a rare treat, and I would happily spend every evening like it. Home too late to blog - up early, as I was in Guildford again today, and - unusually - too busy to blog. Tonight? Well, Carpe Diem advertised a play called Abominations. All the way up in Camden. And were charging a £1 Meetup fee - well, I wasn't going to book with them, then. And since it wasn't selling out, I didn't bother to book at all. Just as well, considering I was delayed at the office again, and wouldn't have made it. Oh, but it's great to have a night at home, just to catch up with things!

..and then I'm back into the swing of it tomorrow, with the Man with the Hat, who's taking both his groups to a classical concert in King's Place - the other side of town, which is why I elected to work from home tomorrow. On Thursday, I'm headed to yet another classical concert, in St. James' Church Piccadilly, with Kensington Classical Music - who aren't charging an extra fee, for once!

On Friday, I'm with London Dramatic Arts to see Giving, at Hampstead Theatre (and given how hard it was to avoid them there the last time, I'm glad I bought my ticket with them this time! Still, now I know where the back door is..) Avoiding them should be easier on Saturday, when they're going to Blue / Orange, at the notoriously chaotic Young Vic. And so am I - on a ticket bought independently. I'm seated upstairs, they're probably not - should be ok.

On Sunday, I'm on my first walk of the year (finally) - Free London Events and Talks has a walk entitled Fire, Pestilence and Plague. I'll cry off if it rains.

On Monday, Henning from the London European Club is running a topical talk on UK and the EU - A Troubled Relationship, at the Devereux - deja vu, my very first Meetup with him was a talk at the same place. Should be interesting, what with the referendum coming up next month.

On Tuesday, the Man with the Hat is taking Let's Do London - for less! to see Last of the Boys, at Southwark Playhouse - indeed, he's also got a bunch of them going to the other show there, The Toxic Avenger, the same night! I've already seen that one, of course. And I can guarantee attendees a great night..

On Wednesday of next week, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, at The Forge this time, for a storytelling evening entitled The Howken Field, by Nick Hennessy.

On Thursday of next week, I'm with Henning again, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete