Thursday 5 May 2016

Comedy: Nikolaugh Teslaugh

Well gee, comedy again last night! I couldn't get many details about the performers in Nikolaugh Teslaugh, but when I checked out the headliner (Amir Khoshsokhan) on YouTube, I was so impressed by the style of his delivery that there was just no question. So I told London Live Comedy that I'd go. First time for me, but not for want of trying on the part of this group - they always have a ton of stuff on, it's just that it usually clashes with something else I'd rather do..

It was up in the Rose and Crown in Kentish Town - excuse enough not to go, especially as I was in Guildford, but I did make it back in time and said What the Hey. I elected to take the Overground (cheaper), and printed out a street map for walking directions from Kentish Town West. On the way, I'd be passing Kentish Town station - which was handy, because I'd have to get the Tube back from there - the Overground wasn't an option by the time I figured I'd be leaving, about 10:30pm. Not for that distance.

The organiser had said he'd have a table ready from 7, but the show didn't start till 8, and I figured I was ok arriving by then, as I didn't know anyone going. After sleeping badly the night before, I was slightly exhausted, and kept dozing off on the long Overground ride - but I came to in time to get off, and set off from the station. It was a beautiful, sunny evening, should have been a lovely walk (about 20 mins) - sadly, Kentish Town is the most polluted place I've been in for a long time, and I could actually feel my throat burning from traffic exhaust fumes as I walked. Gosh, I'm lucky I don't live there! I was glad when I finally came across the pub.

I knew the show was in the cellar bar - I couldn't see an exterior entrance to the cellar from the street, so I went in. After a brief look around what's a very poky pub, I passed a narrow stairway, leading down from an open door. Well, it looked like it led to the cellar - I followed a group of other folks, who looked as though they might be on the same mission. Thankfully, the edge of the steps was painted yellow - there isn't nearly enough light, and as I got to the bottom, I was really reminded of The Vaults! Yes, this was it, and the organiser was prominent downstairs - he couldn't help but be, he's quite tall and came quite close to the ceiling. And, as promised, he wore a blue shirt.

Strobe lighting illuminated a pretty small space, lots of chairs set out. As usual, there was a bar down here, and as usual, it wasn't serving - so I had to schlep upstairs again for a drink, which I carried gingerly back down with me. Worth it though - a decent house white, large, for £5.90 - West End, please take note! The organiser did a decent job of introducing us Meetup people to each other, and I recognised one - although, not seeing her on the Meetup page, I wonder whether she was there with a different group! She started up a geeky conversation with a couple of others down the back, and I left her to it.

Geeky, mind you, was the theme of the night - plenty of Star Wars references, what with yesterday being May the 4th ("May the fourth be with you!"). First time I've heard of Star Wars Day (which someone on the radio on my way home had got wrong and called Star Trek Day!).. anyway, fine by me, I have that background. Three acts before the interval, three after, and generally they were excellent. Plenty of jokes about science, some about Star Wars. Some ill-advised charts. Joke of the night, for us science nerds, has to go to the one about Schrodinger's Cat.. not gonna give it away, but if you know about the cat, you'd really appreciate this!

One of the performers in the second half spent the first half sitting near me, and we got chatting. I mentioned I'd been at a comedy gig the night before as well, and earned his eternal disapproval by admitting that I couldn't remember any of the names! Well sorry, but there were several, none of whom I'd ever heard of before, or am likely to again, and I didn't take notes! Maybe if I were into comedy in a serious way - but it's not the main thing I do. If I can link to the event website, I'll look up those I remember and give them a mention. Otherwise, sorry, but they'll have to vanish into the mist..

At the interval, I needed the toilet - there's only one, and hardly any room to queue for it. Oh, and the floor was all wet. The interval was longer than stated - luckily, considering I spent most of it queueing for the loo, and it took ages to get served afterwards.

The acts did get better as the night continued - sorry to any other comedians out there, but I don't remember the name of the Scottish guy. But I do remember Khoshsokhan (pronounced "Course you can"), famous for his slow and quiet delivery. He was an absolute delight, and I wouldn't have missed him for the world. Tube and train home afterwards (just after 10:30) and home just after bedtime, given that I'm all the way down in Guildford again today.


Looking forward to tonight - back with the Man with the Hat, for the first outing of the year to The GlobeA Midsummer Night's Dream, to be precise. As usual, being too decrepit to stand for the duration, I'm being a wuss and going for a seat - so, Let's Do London - for less! it is. Atmosphere's still great. Somewhat anxious about making it on time, especially as there was a fire in Vauxhall last night, which has severely disrupted train services to Waterloo, which I was planning to use! - bless, the Man with the Hat says he'll wait outside for latecomers. Now, there's a service.. Hopefully, I shan't need it. And then he's mixing it up by heading to the Anchor afterwards.. New one for me. What the hey, variety is the spice of life, as they say.


Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend, and my mother and I are off on Saturday to a violin concert called One Night in Vienna, in Glór. And back in London, on Monday I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Kali - in Soho Theatre again.

No comments:

Post a Comment