Wednesday 18 May 2016

Play: Last of the Boys

And so it came to pass that, for yesterday, the Man with the Hat booked Let's Do London - for less! for - not one, but two shows at Southwark Playhouse! Well, I'd already seen The Toxic Avenger (and still highly recommended), so I booked for the other. I didn't know much about Last of the Boys, but - Southwark Playhouse, Let's Do London - for less!.. what else did I need to know?

Now, I was in Guildford yesterday - but this was the later of the shows, not starting till 8, so I was fairly sure I'd make it. As it happened, traffic was amazingly light, and I actually got back in time to get the trusty 344 bus, which runs from the end of my road straight to just down the road from Southwark Playhouse. What's more, the bus made good time - now, we'd been encouraged to arrive later rather than earlier, for ease of seating in the bar: and with coming from Guildford and then taking a bus, you'd think that'd be easy for me. Actually, I arrived at the theatre just after 7.

Of course, the people who'd come for The Toxic Avenger were there by now, and he was with them - I knew to look down the back. And what was I greeted with? Cancelled! The Toxic Avenger was going ahead, but not our show.. the star had laryngitis, it seemed.

Ah. Well now, I wasn't going anywhere. The Man with the Hat had messaged us, but he'd only found out himself quite late - and by the time he got back to us, I was nearly there anyway, and without internet reception on my phone. I didn't get that message till I got home - and I was glad of it! I do try to restrict myself to events I think I'll enjoy, but the best part about this group's events.. is this group.

No way was I going anywhere. The house wine is good, and decently priced, and I settled in. In due course, some others arrived that were booked for the cancelled show, and either hadn't heard in time to stay away, or wanted to come anyway. We'd all already seen The Toxic Avenger, and enthusiastically assured those who were there for that that they were in for a great night!

And there we stayed - as the Toxic Avenger crowd went in, as they came out for the interval, as they came out at the end. And such reports as we heard of it were glowing. They had a great night - and so did we. The Man with the Hat was at pains to apologise, and has refunded us by the time I write. He'd like to reschedule - and it is running until 4 June, but who knows whether the star will have recovered? We wish him well, and I'm sure we'd like to see it at some point - but we had our Meetup, which made the trip worthwhile. A short wait for the bus, which took me home - but already past my bedtime, so no blogging last night.

They're off to something else tonight - and very few things would keep me away. But as it happens, I'm already booked for one such thing. I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, at The Forge, for a storytelling evening entitled The Howken Field, by Nick Hennessy. Could be fun getting to it - I'm in Guildford again, and there's a train strike, which means the Overground will be busy.. but he's a fantastic performer, worth the effort.

Tomorrow, I'm with Henning in the London European Club again, who's headed to a mixed bill by Nederlands Dans Theater, at Sadler's Wells. I'll work from home - it's a 7 o' clock start. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete