Sunday 8 May 2016

Concert: A Night in Vienna

Back to Ireland for the weekend - with a mishap that wasn't of my doing; someone ended up under a Tube train on the westbound line towards Heathrow. It had just happened, and happened a few stops ahead of us - which means that I might, or might not, have missed it, had I not forgotten the Print at Home tickets for the concert we were going to last night, and had to go back for them. Well, that kind of thing closes lines for hours, so there was no hope of getting to the airport that night - I flew yesterday morning instead. Having bad luck these days with flights..

My flight was early enough that we had time to eat before heading to Mass, and then to the concert. We chose the Sherwood Inn, for its convenience, close to the cathedral and to Glór - goodness knows, it's good value too. We got one of the few spaces outside the shopping centre, and queued for a short while in the restaurant, being seated by the window near the bar, for once. I fancied soup, which is delicious here, and chicken kiev, with onion rings - I've had them before here, and know they're tasty. Skipped the garlic bread, after the last time, though. My mother, of course, had salmon. With wine, the bill came to under €30 for us both! No dessert, of course - we didn't have time, and anyway, you pay in advance here, and I've never yet had anyone come back to ask us whether we want a dessert..

The soup was divine, as ever. My chicken came absolutely drowned in garlic sauce - but tasty, as were the onion rings. My mother had asked for a half portion - huge half portion it was, and we were stuffed as we waddled out of there. Found parking at the cathedral, and - our devotions done - got a nice parking space close to Glór as well. Yes, I could walk between them all - but my mother couldn't, so some moving and reparking of the car was required. Anyway, it poured rain all day Saturday.. it was good not to have to walk far.

We were early to Glór, and took a sofa at the bar, where I had another wine, and my mother some very watery tea - which she hardly touched. I'm not a tea drinker, but from the appearance of it, I couldn't blame her. And we waited - and waited - for the doors to open, spending our time assessing the fashions of fellow audience members. It didn't say on the tickets which door we were to go to, so it did save us some time - and walking - when I remembered which it was - they're picky about that, here. Inside, we had seats on Row F - the one with the aisle directly in front, so plenty of legroom: and not too far from the stage.

This was a violin concert - primarily - by Vladimir Jablokov, whom we've seen here before, and who always gives a show to my mother's taste. In fact, it was part of the Bealtaine / Voltage festival; Bealtaine, the Irish for May, is an annual festival for the aged - so my mother wasn't the only elderly person in the crowd. And it was just perfect for them - lots of Strauss, lots of familiar pieces, with Vladimir hopping merrily about the stage, eyes twinkling. He even hopped off stage and into the crowd for the last number, playing his violin as he walked up the aisle.

He has a habit of including his family in his concerts, and last night had his father on violin, and his sister on piano (in a much-remarked-upon, dark red, flouncy evening gown). His father - not a Strauss fan really, it seems - was indulged for one classical number: Meditation, by Thais. Cue an enraptured audience - and a slightly embarrassed one, when several people started clapping during the quiet bit before the end. There were also two singers - a soprano whom I haven't heard of, and the rather excellent tenor Sean Costello, who was indulged, near the end, with a solo performance of Nessun Dorma.

A very enjoyable evening. Enhanced by the old lady behind us, who tra-la-la-ed along to pretty much everything. And the lady who came around at the interval, with ice cream, did a roaring trade. Still lashing rain on the way home.. Funnily enough, checking my mail when I got home, I found a brochure from the University Concert Hall, where Sean Costello will be performing Mario Lanza around my mother's birthday, in October - accompanied by the Slovak Festival Musicians - conducted by Vladimir Jablokov. Must book that, tomorrow..

Way too tired to blog last night, and only just now made the time. It's been a busy day - now that Aer Lingus has switched to the later, summer schedule, we have time to go out to eat on Sunday as well, and chose the Abbey Tavern. Where we were most excellently fed, with me having a rare occasion to have turkey - they serve it on the Sunday lunch menu. Saves me cooking when I get over here, anyhow.

After a day in Guildford tomorrow - which I'm not looking forward to, what with a work conflict looming - I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Kali - in Soho Theatre again.

No comments:

Post a Comment