Sunday 3 April 2022

Walks: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier & a Hatful of Spies" & "Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture", Pub: The Woodman, & Storytelling: Holy Cow!

Well, I finally got a provisional start date from my new job - and it's this week. So last Friday, still being free, I booked with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for a daytime walk. This was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier & a Hatful of Spies - and comes highly recommended from previous attendees! In fact, I got the last spot (at the time, anyway). 


Wow, it's so long since I was on Villiers Street! And I see a couple of restaurants have disappeared from there since, sadly. Anyway, we had to meet at the bottom, near Embankment - I couldn't see the group as I came down, but sure enough, there they were, behind the lorry.. and we stood, as usual, for a while, and chatted.. and lo, there was that pesky snow again! Interestingly, this was to be a feature of the walk - it fairly pelted down on us at one point, and we noticed a few interesting patterns. Like, it always seemed to follow a sunny spell. And it always seemed to be encouraged by us putting down our hoods, taking off gloves etc. It came to the point where we were practically dragging Laurence into the sunnier sides of streets, and encouraging him to abridge the walk.. we actually did have to abandon one spot we stopped at, for fear of being blown over!

Having said that, it was an interesting walk, lots of chat about spies, both real and fictional. Not so interesting visually, sadly - especially as spy organisations tend to favour nondescript buildings. I did manage one photo, and here it is:


Anyway, lunch turned out to be in Henry's! Now, this is a find.. decent, reasonably priced food in this part of town? Fabulous. Having said that, my chicken schnitzel was a bit hard to cut, and service was a little scatty.. but we did have a massive group, almost all of whom stayed for lunch, and so we had way more than had booked. And the food was good - in fact, the white chocolate profiteroles were divine! Would love to come back. One of the group was still celebrating her birthday from the day before - so we consumed much wine.. ;-)


After lunch, we repaired to Caffe Concerto. Never been in here before, imagine! Where I had more wine, some people had cake.. and the chat was mighty. And then, some folk wanted to continue.. so, we let ourselves be led by someone else to a wine bar she knew, called Le Beaujolais. And the gent of the group proved himself a gent by paying for a cab!


Mad place, and a bit cramped, but good company, good wine, good nibbles. Mind you, I was now flagging, and by just gone 11, I'd had enough. Despite a plea to continue at Ronnie Scott's, I was adamant I needed to go to bed - and that is what I did. Still, a most excellent night - hell, entire day! was had. Memorable. Thanks, guys! I was too tired to blog, of course.

That evening, I had booked with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix. Of course, that fell by the wayside.

Yesterday, I had booked with Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts for a Regent's Canal Walk. But yay, Laurence and the 45+s then advertised another walk for that day, which was pretty much guaranteed to be superior. So I booked it. This was Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture - and of course, it being a London weekend, I could go!

Would you believe, only three people showed up to that - not including Laurence. (And yes, it was a tad difficult for me to drag myself out of bed. But I did.) Lovely sunny day for it too - with the odd snow shower, of course. A much more photogenic walk, I have to say.. We started in Kensington Gardens - a beautiful day for a stroll in the park, lots of dogs around, and a great way to blow off the cobwebs.


We met the man who invented the Penny Black:


and other residents:


And boy, was there a lot of religious architecture! Sadly, they weren't letting the public into the synagogue, it being Sabbath:


And we didn't stop at St. Matthew's:

But we had more luck with the Greek Orthodox church, where we sneaked in with a few minutes to spare before a christening! Sometimes, it pays to be a small group:



Passed an old art deco cinema, now converted to flats:


And here's a curiosity: a memorial to an Albanian war hero! Fought off the Ottomans, it seems:

Gee, you never do know what's around the corner! We finished with a sumptuous hotel:


Now, apparently not all the rooms are decorated like the reception rooms, but wow, those reception rooms:





And there's a teensy theatre - now converted to a bar:



Fabulous stuff. We then repaired to Pret, had a good old chat.. and went our separate ways. Very sorry not to be joining Laurence and this group again for a while, but I have so much time scheduled in Ireland this month.. and if work starts when it says it will, there go the midweek ones! Ah well, I do need a way to pay for all of this..

Now, that evening, an ex-colleague of mine was having a leaving do - he's emigrating. Combined with a birthday bash. Happened at The Woodman, in Highgate. I said I'd put in an appearance. I didn't see much point in going home first - so I didn't! Tube it was..


Located the pub - where I had to wait to be seated. And during the day, it seems to be more about food! First, I visited the loo - with pull chain flushes and a peculiar design of handbasin, it is a unique establishment! And so to ordering food, and they got all antsy when I tried to order at the bar - mind you, considering how long it took anyone to come to me between courses, it was as well I did. Still, I was killing time. I decided to try the shepherds pie:


Isn't that just dinky? Unfortunately, I was feeling fragile after the night before, and couldn't finish it - not to mention the enormous portion of onion rings I ordered with it. Well, a portion of ice cream for dessert went down well.

When someone else I knew came along, we established that the birthday/leaving guy had arrived, and made our way out to the "covered al fresco" section. Which is very well-designed, a kind of shack effort, with overhead heaters. Have to say, those heaters were not effective - it seemed that only the person directly under the heater got any benefit, and we spent most of the night shivering. Thankfully, they closed the outdoor bar at around 11pm, and we moved inside - and wondered why we hadn't done it earlier!


A terrific, retro soundtrack kept us going all night, and one guy had brought his seriously cute dog, Mollie - a poodle cross, white and fluffy - who was the star of the evening. But oh man, it was so good to see all these people I hadn't seen for years! So glad I made the effort for this. And our host and his partner were good enough to let me share their Uber home - turns out they don't (for the moment) live so far from me! Well, well.. again, sadly, I was too tired to blog.

Today, the CCC again! (and was I glad of the lie-in). Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee were at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon was also today, so I took the Tube again. First off, got a bite to eat in Delice de France - it's been a while - and for once, it didn't burn my mouth! Arrived at the museum in good time, got a pack of Piper's sweet chilli crisps, which I really didn't like and didn't finish! and a much nicer apple juice. And in due course, took my seat downstairs - I see it was well-signposted, for once!


I don't think I've ever seen Emily Hennessey on better form, as she pranced around the stage, ankle bells jingling, bringing to life fantastical Indian tales about gods and magic. But the real star of the show for me was Sheema Mukherjee, who wove an enchanting and hypnotic spell around the words, playing her sitar, singing, providing sound effects. As ever, a terrific way to spend a relaxed Sunday afternoon - additional validation provided by the Indian family in front of me, who were very impressed with it all. And kudos to Emily for not batting an eyelid when someone's phone went off, or there was a public announcement that the museum was closing - no, she just wove them into her story.

Afterwards, I might have eaten locally, but I had to run and view a room - I want to move to a larger place, now that I'm going to be working completely remotely. I'd promised the tenant who was to show it to me that I wouldn't keep him all night, so I zipped over there by Tube again. Unfortunately, although it would be an improvement on what I have now, the price seemed excessive for what was on offer, and I've declined it - for one thing, I think a wardrobe is a dealbreaker! The guy living there now keeps his clothes on a rail - and he's even taking that with him. Nope, the search continues.

Meantime, looking for somewhere to eat around there, I hit on The Empress - appropriately, an Indian restaurant. I was their only sit-down customer - although they had a couple of takeaway orders - so service was prompt. And friendly. I had my usuals, and I have to say, I haven't had tastier anywhere. Why, the naan wasn't even burnt. Although - as ever - there was a pitiful amount of chicken for all that sauce; having eaten the six chunks they provided me with, I nearly laughed out loud when the waiter asked whether I wanted a doggy bag for the leftovers. What, the leftover sauce?!

Tomorrow, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On Tuesday, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On Thursday, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with Civilised London, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job (whenever) by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment