Thursday 7 April 2022

Tomfoolery

TonightTommy Tiernan was playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky.. Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. Doing something of a world tour for the next few months.

It was as well that I checked for my ticket early in the day - I'd selected to receive an e-ticket, which was supposed to be stored in my Eventim account - but it wasn't there! Probably as a result of the reschedule. I did come across a phone number to ring if it was within 24 hours of the event - got a quick response, explained the problem, and the nice chap tried to email me the ticket but couldn't. Instead, he switched it to box office collection, emailed me a collection code, and instructed me to have ID with me.

This far from me, of course it was going to be Tube. Google Maps suggested that the Central Line, followed by the Piccadilly, would be faster - and after my last experience of the Circle Line, I'd be forced to agree - so that's what I did. Again, just as well - there were delays on the Circle. I needed to eat, wanted something a bit fast, although I knew the show wasn't starting till 8 - behold, I was walking out through the shopping centre at Hammersmith Broadway and there was a Wasabi. So I thought - why not? It'd been a while, and I used to like it. As I was queueing though, I made the decision to pass on the katsu curry I used to get, and try the teriyaki instead - I have always liked that. Had noodles with it too, for a change. And it was all nice - if perhaps a bit heavy on the soy sauce. I found I couldn't finish it.

And so to the theatre, just past 7, when the doors had opened. There is great value to not being there when the doors open, there's much less queueing. A separate queue led to the box office - and so much for the collection code, he just checked my name against the filed tickets, using my ID. Wow, it's so long since I had a physical ticket.. And to the bar, where the white wine comes in cans. Well, it's ok. And so to the long climb to my seat, in Row X of the Circle.


The support act, as before, is his cousin Eleanor. And thereafter, a 15-minute wait for the main attraction:


Well, the warm welcome that Eleanor got was nothing to the roar that greeted Tommy. His following is loyal - and was pissed. It's more than two years, you know, since this show was originally scheduled here - imagine. And part of the show tonight had him describe how he is re-energised by the energy of the audience, how on long stretches of motorway - or at home during lockdown - his life force just drains away. He thanked us for remembering we'd bought tickets (as one fellow beside me remarked to his companions, he'd only suddenly remembered today..).

He sure was in fine fettle here! He prowled around the stage like a kind of creaky guru, complete with white beard. The crowd was a bit rowdy - drowned out by one group of ladies, he quieted them by saying "ladies, we arranged to meet BACKSTAGE, afterwards.. I have work to do here now!" And he still manages to reduce me to tears. I particularly love his description of his small dog at home, which he doesn't much care for: describes it as a "small, yappy thing - a cross between a mop and a panic attack!" Or then, there's the explanation for why the Russian forces are retreating - it's not that they're being beaten back. Oh no, it's the Irish. They haven't sent over troops (hah! as if - if the Ukraine is short of equipment, sure the Irish never got any..). No, instead they've sent over council road workers with diversion signs. The Russians have just been diverted back to Russia..

Fabulous stuff. Be warned though - the jokes get filthier as the set progresses. Good luck to you Tommy, delighted to see you on the road again!

Happily, I didn't have to climb down all those stairs without a handrail - we had a quick route out the fire escape at the back. Circle Line home, stopped off in Liverpool Street because I was peckish, Wasabi not having quite done the business. Delice de France was still open, and I grabbed a bite there before walking the last bit.

Tomorrow, it's back to Ireland for the weekend again. For Saturday, I've booked Uncharted - an Indiana Jones-style adventure, probably with less style, but at least starring Mark Wahlberg and Antonio Banderas. Could be fun, and anyway, the choice for daytime isn't spectacular. Showing, as usual, at the Omniplex.

On Monday, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On Tuesday, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. On Thursday, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight - no problem getting the day off work though!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Happily, my boss was also fine with me taking that week as holiday. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment