Monday 11 April 2022

Play: The 47th

Today, I booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I was really looking forward to this play..

When I got a email from the theatre, saying I should be there between 6.30 and 6.50 for a 7.30 start, I decided that was reason enough to leave. Happily, I could get several buses - and the direct one happened along just as I did! For food, I decided to try The Duke of Sussex, where I was on my last meeting with Bucket List London - crikey, a long time ago! Not deliberate, I miss that group - it just worked out that way. They only do weekends, and I'm not here for so many of them.. Now, the last time I was here, it was booked up, and I tried to book tonight - but they don't take bookings for one. So I said, well, this time it's a Monday - I'll give it a shot.

No problem at all getting seated, around the back. I'd seen chicken kyiv on the menu, decided to have that - I so rarely see it on London menus. And a glass of chenin blanc - nice and big! Wow, that chicken was lovely, as was the mash that came with it - and the wine. Took a while for my ice cream to come - and when it did, I was sorely disappointed, it was a bit strange. Wouldn't recommend that. But the main course is worth going for. Meantime, I was entertained by the conversation at a nearby table, where a group of Americans were chatting loudly enough to be overheard - and clearly enough that they might have been in a play themselves. Sounded as though they were going to the play too - and one was perplexed that Londoners would be interested in Trump, whose character appears. He then remarked that the first two names he'd seen in the cast list played Trump and Ted Cruz - his least favourite people! One of his companions wondered whether it was a comedy..

I had to ask two different people for the bill, but never mind, the theatre was just up the road. I did arrive slightly after my allotted time, but of course nobody checked. I had to climb all the way to the top, bah - where I was still early enough to get another drink. Would you believe, their screens are so complete in the bar here that you even tap your card through the perspex! You can take in your drink if it's in plastic - indeed, they have a pile of plastic containers just inside the auditorium door - and that's exactly what I did.

Terrific view, even up here in the gods - and with the middle of my row empty, I scooched to a more central position in the second act. Well of course, that lady in the pub was right - this is a comedy. And as for whether Londoners would be interested in Trump..! I hope the reaction when he was first on, at the beginning, scooting around the stage in his golf cart, settled that question for them. The actor gets it about 99% right! Certainly looks the part, too.

It's a damn dark comedy, though. Written in blank verse (!), it obviously owes a lot to Shakespeare - and so much reminded me of one Shakespearian play or another. In the first scene, Trump plays King Lear, having a contest among three of his children to decide which should be his heir. Later, something is wrong with Joe Biden - he sleepwalks the corridors by night, like Lady Macbeth. And the play duly turns into a war drama, the Presidential war council pitted against Trump's troops, some of whom storm the audience to hang banners from the balconies. Just as climactic as a Shakespearian battle scene, with the Trump supporters a frightening presence.

It is absolutely terrific. I didn't over-anticipate it at all.. it was a great choice. And as for what happens? Well, let's say this - Mike Bartlett has a habit of giving the ladies the last laugh - so keep an eye on Kamala Harris and Ivanka Trump, both also quite true-to-life. My word, it's just like being there.. and what an interesting vision of the future. Awesome stuff, best play I've seen this year so far. Runs till the 28th of next month - run and get a ticket! Be warned, contains strobe lighting, a gun does appear at one point, there's lots of bad language - and if you're in the stalls, prepare to be confetti-ed on. And if you're in the very front, you might get sprayed..

Funny to note the lady playing Ivanka Trump, who switched to fluffy slippers for the curtain call. Well, considering the height of the heels she was wearing all night, I don't blame her!

On the bus home, I was entertained by a family who sounded (a) Glaswegian and (b) drunk, so the poor driver had great fun trying to understand them, and the mother of the family was apparently hard of hearing too. Now, on this bus, I had the option to change to one that passes right by my house - the question was, would we coordinate properly? If not, I should stay on a bit longer to get as close to home as possible before I had to walk. Well, happily my Buses Due app was able to tell me that my second bus would come along just after my first - so it proved, and I was dropped right at my door. Sometimes, the universe just synchronises, eh?

Tomorrow, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. On Thursday, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight - no problem getting the day off work though!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of next week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Happily, my boss was also fine with me taking that week as holiday. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment