Sunday 17 April 2022

Film: The Lost City

Of all the films showing locally this week that I might have been interested in, only one is showing in the Omniplex in the afternoon. So I booked that one for today - it was The Lost City, and stars Sandra Bullock as an author, Channing Tatum as the model for the hero on her book coversBrad Pitt as an action-hero type, and Daniel Radcliffe as an eccentric millionaire in another of those lost-city-in-the-jungle capers. Mind you, I won't automatically be booking here from now on - they have increased their price by 50%, and are now more expensive than Ennis! Watch this space.

Started off in good time, being used to terrible traffic in Limerick - only to find traffic was very light! I was soon to find out why, as I discovered most things were closed. So I was very prompt into the cinema for once, allowing me time for a quick trip to the toilet. And why people leave public toilets in such a state is beyond me.. Anyway, this is actually showing in four different screens, and this showing was in the smallest of all, I think. Which was pretty full, but that wouldn't take much. And happily, I made it before the film started, this time!

Ah now, this is a lot better than I expected. I did read a review that praised Sandra Bullock's excellent comic acting skills - and they're right - but I do think they underestimate Channing Tatum, who plays a wonderful straight man, and is always up for being made fun of. Seriously, the comic twists and turns in this film just get better and better - inventive, original, and laugh-out-loud funny. It does drag a little during the more serious scenes - luckily, it's more funny than serious. Brad Pitt, meantime, is absolutely perfect as the all-purpose action hero. It's when he exits - quite early - that Channing Tatum is given the freedom to display his comparative uselessness in the same role, providing many of the chuckles. Gorgeous fun, go see! Highly recommended.

The final film on my list, and only showing in the afternoon in Ennis, Morbius is another of those superhero things - an antihero, rather. Jared Leto is the hapless biochemist who accidentally turns himself into a vampire - with all the powers that entails. Also stars Michael Keaton. I have four days to get to see it, but will probably go tomorrow.

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of the week, back on Thursday, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on Friday, which I've now arranged with her. Happily, my boss was also fine with me taking the week as holiday. Anyway, I'll fly back to London next Sunday. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment