Wednesday 6 April 2022

But I'm a Cheerleader: The Musical

Last night, I headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre. Never been before - turns out it's all the way over near Vauxhall! so, Circle Line it was. To Sloane Square. Left a bit later than I might have, given that I'm now working again. Now, this line is prone to delays.. and sure enough, rather than the projected 30 minutes journey, it actually took 45, what with constant pauses and random stops in tunnels. I planned to eat in Cote on Sloane Square, but it's a good job they didn't need to be booked - at that rate, had I booked, I'd have been late for my reservation!

Friendly staff, no problem in seating me. They didn't provide me with the fixed price menu, which has the delectable mushroom soup on it, so I jumped straight to the steak frites - which was gorgeous. Knew straight away that I wanted the chocolate ice cream for dessert - chocolatiest thing on the menu! and I was a bit tight for time. So it was unfortunate, firstly, that it took so long to catch their eye for the bill, and secondly, that the chatty lady at the next table got talking to me! She was waiting for her companion, who - she explained to the waiter - was Muslim, and couldn't eat until 7:40 because it was Ramadan. The waiter was dubious about this request, so she ended up ordering her own starter and waiting until her companion arrived to order anything else!

Anyway, all of this left me tight for time to cross the river to the theatre. Happily, buses run the same route, and one was just coming.. so I got there in no time.


What a busy alleyway! Anyway, I was glad not to be any later - I didn't have much time to spare, and just got to queue for a drink and rush in. I was in the front row:


Well wow, what a show! I honestly don't know when I've seen something so enthusiastic, so catchy, so upbeat - it's hilarious, and in parts touching, as we meet the teenage girl who's perfectly happy with her lot until her family and friends decide she's gay, and pack her off to one of those places where they "straighten" young people. The singing is superb, the staging imaginative, and the songs terrific. I wasn't expecting so much, but got way more than I expected. Really highly recommended - the standing ovation at the end was spontaneous and irresistible. And as we passed out to the lobby afterwards, we passed the dressing rooms, where someone was just bursting in to tell them how amazing they'd been. You know what? YES! Runs till the 8th of next month - run and see it! (Only thing is, the seating isn't the most comfortable.. a bit hard.)

Took the bus home, it being quicker at night. Would have had a shorter walk to catch it if Google Maps hadn't mistaken where I was..

And after a really long journey, got back - and wanting to be at work at a decent time today, went to bed and postponed the blog. Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. Just had the most horrendous thunder shower, and hoping that clears up by the time I leave..

Tomorrow, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery.

And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again. For Saturday, I've booked Uncharted - an Indiana Jones-style adventure, probably with less style, but at least starring Mark Wahlberg and Antonio Banderas. Could be fun, and anyway, the choice for daytime isn't spectacular. Showing, as usual, at the Omniplex.

On Monday, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On Tuesday, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

Next Wednesday, back with Civilised London, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will soon have to ask for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment