Saturday 16 April 2022

Films: Operation Mincemeat & Don't Go

Three more films showing locally this week that I might be interested in, and only one showing in the Omniplex in the afternoon. So I've booked that one for tomorrow - it's The Lost City, and stars Sandra Bullock as an author, Channing Tatum as the model for the hero on her book coversBrad Pitt, and Daniel Radcliffe as an eccentric millionaire in another of those lost-city-in-the-jungle capers.

The other films only have afternoon showings in Ennis - so, it's there I'm bound for them. They charge for booking, and are not booking out, so I haven't. Higher rated of the remaining films was Operation Mincemeat, which stars the ever-dependable Colin FirthMatthew Macfadyen, and Penelope Wilton as MI5 agents in a comedy based on the true story of how, during WWII, they put the Nazis off the scent by handcuffing a case of fake "secret" papers to a corpse, and letting it be found. They've made a play about this too, you know!

I had to drag myself out pretty early - I had a choice of seeing it at 12.35 or 5.45, nothing in between! There must have been a parade in the town square, which was all blocked off as I passed through - I saw band uniforms, later. The gap in showing times turns out to be because it's showing in the same screen as The Northman, so had to make way for that in the middle of the afternoon. And there was only one other person at the screening. I'd arrived shortly after the start of the film, so couldn't really see where I was headed - just plonked myself in a seat. At the time, Colin Firth was reading a bedtime story to what I assumed was his son, and I assumed I hadn't missed much.

Of course, as one newspaper review remarked, with this cast you're in safe hands, and it's going to be a pleasure to watch - and so it proved. When I joined it, a party was taking place in one of those lovely, comfortable, posh London residences, Colin Firth's home, to celebrate his leaving the legal profession. Most people there think he's retiring - few know the truth, that he's just been hired by MI5.

Ian Fleming is also part of this sub-section of the organisation, and it is he who comes up with the idea - originally and unimaginatively called Trojan Horse - of using a corpse carrying fake official papers as a decoy. He spends much of his spare time clacking away at his typewriter in a corner of the office, working on his spy stories - but he's not the only one. In fact, as Matthew Macfayden sighs later in the film, he's surrounded by them. "Nazis?" wonders his companion. "No, writers!" is the exasperated reply.

It's a comfortable film, a combination of smart military uniforms, pleasant buildings, pleasant company. I spent a great portion of the film trying to recognise places! Certainly, I know the steps that they trot up and down at various points, with the statue at the top - that's the Duke of York column. (The steps are also named for him.) When they're shown watching a newsreel, I'm sure they're in the Balcony of the Coliseum - however, when they're shown climbing a staircase to go into another show (or newsreel), that's not the Coliseum. In fact, I have been there, but damned if I can remember which one it is! That is going to vex me, since I recognise the stripey wallpaper..

It's a very interesting story, and we are given a sufficient backstory for each character to develop a bond with them. It's fascinating to see the level of detail they go into, to try and make sure that nothing will trip them up. And when, despite an exasperating boss (I have known the feeling!), they manage to get the plan in motion, it is such a relief! Cue massive tension soon after, as it's now out of their hands, and pretty much all they can do is wait for news - even when they get it, they can never be sure whether it's just misinformation of the kind they're feeding to the other side! Also quite touching in parts, as we are gently reminded how what they call "the real war" (as opposed to the virtual war they're fighting, but which they are influencing by their actions) is affecting people's lives. Highly recommended.

On my way back, I had a car stop again to let me cross - can't have been the weather today, it was overcast! Anyway, this was too early for dinner, so I ate back at my mother's in the evening.

After a gaggle of films on tv this evening that I'd already seen, the late film was something new - sounded interesting, and I ended up watching it. Don't Go is set in the west of Ireland, where a young American couple come to start a hotel by the sea - she used to study in Ireland, and they wanted a complete change from what they were doing. However, they are haunted (literally, it seems) by their dead daughter. Simon Delaney plays the local priest (no, not required to perform an exorcism in this case).

Seems a fairly typical story, but the acting is very watchable. And don't fall into the trap of thinking you know the ending - I was surprised, and briefly confused, by this one! In fact, it's one of those ambiguous endings, which can be read a number of ways. Some strong symbolism throughout, too. I liked it a lot.

The final film on my list, Morbius is another of those superhero things - an antihero, rather. Jared Leto is the hapless biochemist who accidentally turns himself into a vampire - with all the powers that entails. Also stars Michael Keaton. I have four days, after tomorrow, to get to see it.

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of next week, back on Thursday, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on Friday, which I've now arranged with her. Happily, my boss was also fine with me taking that week as holiday. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment