Monday 4 April 2022

Play: Clybourne Park

Today, I was back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This was for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood. Earlier today, the theatre sent me a very convenient text with a link to my ticket! The only other theatre I've known do that is the Bridge - and it is so handy not to have to trawl through my emails.

Got buses there - and in similarly convenient fashion, the first of them appeared just as I arrived. I had to change, though - and as I headed for the stop to catch the next, there was one that just beat me to it, and no chance for me to catch it. Never mind, I didn't have too long to wait, and made it to the theatre in good time. I see they're not currently doing food there.. I had a particularly tasteless bag of salted peanuts (advertised as "having just the right amount of salt"). I guess the makers are encouraging a healthy, low-salt diet then. I won't be having those again!

Pulled up my ticket and headed into the auditorium. I should have noted the ticket more closely - it did indicate which door to enter by, and the one it indicated wasn't the one that the usher blithely directed me to. I ended up right on the other side of the stage, and had to cut across the whole audience - happily, I found a row without too many people in it to bother. I was on the end of my row - which was all well and good until the interval, when I didn't want to go anywhere, but most of the row did, and there was no way for me to let them past without getting out of the row completely! At least, when they came back, they braved walking along the edge of the stage and climbing down from there. Very badly designed seating.


However, you are right at the edge of the action - and in one energetic scene, perhaps a little too close! (That opening set design reminds me very much of the stage at the end of the concerts on the Experience and Innocence tour by U2!) Now, as the first act of this progressed, I wondered about the description of the play. It didn't seem like a comedy, and it didn't have anything to do with a family moving into a black area. Quite the opposite - the first act turns out to have been based on part of a pre-existing play, set in the 50s, about a black family moving into a white neighbourhood, and feels far from a comedy. However, the second half resolves the issue - what they've done is taken a scene from the old play, updated it to modern times for the second half, and taken a look at the fallout.

The first act is full of familiar conversations - the taciturn husband, the lonely wife fussing about, the black maid and her husband, eager to help. The obnoxious neighbour, come to complain about the aforementioned couple selling their house to a black family. Not so many jokes - quite a few passages we'd find offensive in modern times. Hey, they were probably offensive when the play was written as well! perhaps heard in conversation, but shocking to hear repeated on stage.

The second act is harder to pin down, at first. The same actors appear in modern clothing, sat around in a group for what looks like a very boring meeting to discuss a document, the nature of which isn't made clear. I started looking at my watch. But stick with it - it becomes apparent that this is the same room we saw in the first act, just about 50 years later. The focus of the document becomes the talking point of the second act - and as the discussion heats up, there are some downright hilarious moments. Including some very off-colour jokes. So, what the play does is compare and contrast the old-fashioned and modern behaviour, the relationships between the black and white characters in each time period, their life experiences, and the issues that concern each. You could write an essay on how the experiences of each have changed over the years, and how we all relate to each other - but as for the play, just enjoy the acting. This is very watchable! Recommended - and with a poignant ending. Runs until the 23rd.

On the way back, both Google Maps and the Buses Due app informed me that the #153 would head straight to Liverpool Street, and would depart from Stop H at Finsbury Park. I don't blame them, as that's exactly what TFL says. However, when I arrived there, there was no mention of the #153. I did see one parked down the road - which I subsequently watched stop across the road, at Stop G, and sail on its way. I've complained to TFL about their information.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On Thursday, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery.

And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again. For Saturday, now that the listings are up, I've booked Uncharted - an Indiana Jones-style adventure, probably with less style, but at least starring Mark Wahlberg and Antonio Banderas. Could be fun, and anyway, the choice for daytime isn't spectacular. Showing, as usual, at the Omniplex.

Next Monday, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with Civilised London, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment