Sunday 22 November 2020

Talk: Spies, Lies & Espionage

So, just now was my first Meetup of the month! London Social Detours, naturally, with a virtual themed tour "Spies, Lies & Espionage". Decently interesting, although this isn't a special interest of mine.. we got a nice slideshow to match some script she was reading:


(That's the interior of Brompton Oratory, apparently a favoured venue for spy meetups!)

She also showed us a short interview clip with an uncovered spy. I've heard lots of spy stuff about London before, but the talk was well-delivered.. still, with the sky darkening, I found myself falling asleep, as usual. Her delivery is just so monotonous - and I wasn't the only one, as I discovered during the chat afterwards, when I saw a couple fast asleep, heads on each other's shoulders, who'd forgotten to turn off their camera!

The chat itself was heavily given over to spy stuff.. one told us how she'd undergone security checks for work, and still had a high level of security clearance. Couldn't tell us exactly what it was she was doing, of course! The American on the call sounded as though she'd have to choose between spending Thanksgiving alone, or with relatives who weren't as careful about Covid as she is herself. And for whatever reason, everyone dropped off quicker than usual. And so I have my evening to myself. Good to have a window on the world, though.

I'm taking this week off, yay! And tomorrow's film will probably be The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, being next alphabetically at this level in my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment