Monday 16 November 2020

Film: A Street Cat Named Bob & Play: Boston Marriage

On Saturday, I planned to head back to whatever was left on the Raindance film festival site. But wouldn't you know it, there wasn't anything - not for those outside the UK, anyway; I believe the shorts are available until the 2nd for those in the UK. Anyway, it took me all my available time that day to check that! So it wasn't until yesterday that I got a film seen - and it was back to trusty Amazon Prime, for the first time in a while, and top of my list was A Street Cat Named Bob.

The true story of a junkie on the streets of London, whose life is turned around by a ginger tom - this is a lovely, heartwarming story, without being schmaltzy. And aww, definitely one for cat lovers - that cat is gorgeous, with his lovely, big green eyes. V nostalgic for me too, as his busking patch is around Covent Garden.. I can't count all the rainy and sunny days I've been around there, weekday and weekend. I had great fun, recognising both buildings and bus routes. Very much enjoyed this. Showing (in Ireland anyway) until the 27th.

Now, with the UK locked down again, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) is looking into online offerings again - and it's from them that I got my next idea! I couldn't make their time though, so watched on my own. Yesterday, the choice was a reading of Boston Marriage, streamed from the USA by TodayTix - available for about the next eight hours. Sadly, as the actual show is over, it won't accept new bookings! Just as well I booked before the show started. Mind you, as I've now watched it, you could always try my link.. password is EmeraldNecklace.

And I do recommend it! Socially distanced, with each of the three actors in a different location, it's seamlessly edited - no awkward pauses; if you turn your face away, you can imagine that they're acting as normal, in the same room. It's a comedy of manners, involving two snooty society ladies and the put-upon Scottish maid of one of them, who provides a perfect comedy foil. Madcap antics abound, but it's the conversation that sparkles here. True, the snooty accents are a bit irritating - but I'm glad I stuck with it. Highly recommended.

Tonight, something popped up that I just couldn't ignore - Wimbledon Music Festival is running an online concert based on the life of a medieval nun, Hidegard of Bingen - half music, half story. Early music - I couldn't resist! The link will remain available for another week, but I might log on tonight anyway. I booked with one of my cheap tickets sites - no cheaper, but it does fulfil my requirement to book something with them. Such requirements could be hard, this year!

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have every intention of taking the time to see something. And that day, UITCS is watching Emilia - a recording of a past show, it's available till a week after Tuesday. And they're still taking bookings - for the minimal fee of £1! So I've booked that as well. Gee, it feels great to have things booked again!

No comments:

Post a Comment