Saturday 28 November 2020

Film: The Warren

Well, I finally got a film watched. Predictably, the short - The Warren, a short film on Reel Palestine. Figured I'd have time for that much, at least! I still have a backlog of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, on Amazon PrimeThe Syrian Bride, new to Sands Films: and Snowden, also on Amazon Prime. The last of which I'm most interested in - so naturally, it comes last of the four!

A small amount of buffering didn't cause too much trouble. This is an atmospheric piece about the Israeli army, creeping around a Palestinian refugee camp at dead of night, looking for insurgents during the second intifada. I was a few minutes in before anyone spoke, at which time I realised there are no subtitles! Happily, although it'd be nice to know what people are saying, it doesn't prevent you following the plot.

It has a decent amount of suspense. Can't say much more about an 11-minute piece without giving too much away, but suffice to say that the Israeli army don't come out of this squeaky clean. The ending is truly unexpected, and will give you pause for thought. Recommended!

Now, this evening, Up in the Cheap Seats are doing a couple of things - one is a musical called Fiver, about the journey of a five-pound note through the city. Livestreamed from Southwark Playhouse, so you have to watch it at set times. Ran yesterday, running today. I love a musical, and the story sounds interesting.. of course, I can't do it in the evening, but there is a matinee today, which I've booked for. Full price, for once, and my ongoing discount doesn't apply, but I'm delighted to help the theatre. I've logged in and am waiting for the start, at time of writing - glad to hear they've followed the Old Vic's lead, and included audience sounds while you wait. Really adds to the realism. Only thing is, the recording keeps looping, and there's a slight pause before each restart. And as you listen over and over, you do start to recognise segments. Still, it helps.

And tomorrow, reliable London Social Detours has another talk. This time, it's one hosted by the host's historian friend, which makes a nice change - and it's about "Death, Disease & the Great Fire of London"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment