Saturday 21 November 2020

Film: Eddie the Eagle & Play: Emilia

Tuesday was my birthday, and I had every intention of taking the time to see something. And that day, Up in the Cheap Seats was watching Emilia - a recording of a past show, its run is now extended to the 2nd. And they're still taking bookings - for the minimal fee of £1! So I booked that as well. Gee, it feels great to have things booked again!

But hey, the week turned out to be hectic, which can happen - in the event, I only started watching it today. And then, I wasn't half an hour in when it crashed - and since the television had improved in the meantime, I watched that instead.

Tonight's film on tv was one on my list - imminent, in fact! So this was a handy way to get to see it. Eddie the Eagle is the true story of what you might call one of England's eccentrics, Michael Edwards, who decided - with little training, but a heap of enthusiasm - to enter the Olympic ski-jumping event. The UK had never entered the event before, and he became quite the celebrity -setting, by definition, new UK Olympic records.

He's played by the excellent Taron Egerton, with Hugh Jackman as an ex-champion who takes pity on him and trains him, and Christopher Walken as Hugh Jackman's ex-mentor, now a sports commentator. And wow, what an uplifting film! Really, the story of an enthusiast, with little talent apart from a passionate interest, and absolutely no support, is a dead cert. If you read about him, you might discover that his gear was borrowed from other teams. His father was dead set against it, until he proved himself. And as for the UK Olympic Committee, who changed the requirements after he'd qualified under the old rules - just to stop him getting in - well, when did anyone ever expect the UK establishment to act fair? Never has before.. (he stymied them by meeting the new, more stringent requirements). Highly recommended.

Afterwards, I returned to Emilia. Didn't watch much more of it, though. In common with at least some of the group that watched it on Tuesday - according to the comments - I didn't like it much, and didn't think it was going to improve. It's a Shakespeare's Globe production, which doesn't do much to recommend them.. Three actors portray her (in an all-female production), but forty minutes in, the youngest is still doing the job, although already pregnant by then. Perhaps they switch to the next when she gives birth.

Anyway, that's not my problem - my problem has more to do with the sketchy sound (I recommend the link with captions), and the generally shrieky production. They must have got hoarse, yelling at each other and completely overacting throughout - and neither was I fond of the twerking that constitutes courtly dance. When we were introduced to the rather camp Shakespeare, I bailed (the story is based on Emilia Bassano, rumoured to be the "dark lady" that he wrote about, which is what sparked my interest). Nice outfit she had on - that's the best I can find to say about it.

I owe myself another film for today - Emilia was supposed to be a birthday extra! Of the next on my list, La Petite Vendeuse de Soleil is next alphabetically, and having no particular preference, I'll probably go for that. Courtesy of Sands Films, it has the added advantage of being short. Not tonight though - it's gone too late.

And tomorrow, my first Meetup of the month! London Social Detours, naturally, with a virtual themed tour "Spies, Lies & Espionage".

No comments:

Post a Comment