Monday 16 November 2020

Concert: The Telling

Tonight, something popped up that I just couldn't ignore - Wimbledon Music Festival, running for the next week, had an online concert based on the life of a medieval nun, Hidegard of Bingen - half music, half story. Early music - I couldn't resist! The link will remain available for another week, but I watched tonight anyway. I booked with one of my cheap tickets sites (CT) - no cheaper, but it does fulfil my requirement to book something with them. Such requirements could be hard, this year! If you fancy watching it, the password is telLingWIMF202004.


So, there's a singer, a harpist, and an actor (in the veil) playing Hildegard herself. It takes place in a church - denuded of its seating, it's just like it would have been in medieval times, and very atmospheric. Performances of the works of the woman herself are interspersed with brief performances describing her life, in words that it is imagined she might have used. And wow, it's intense - placing her in a convent at the age of eight turns out to have been rather a good idea, as she went on to have visions, accredited by the Pope, and compose a huge volume of music. As well as founding a couple of monasteries. I adored it, of course - I always love this kind of music. Not sure the cat was as impressed - but hey, aren't cats supposed to be ministers of the Devil?

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have every intention of taking the time to see something. And that day, Up in the Cheap Seats is watching Emilia - a recording of a past show, it's available for eight more days after. And they're still taking bookings - for the minimal fee of £1! So I've booked that as well. Gee, it feels great to have things booked again!

No comments:

Post a Comment