Tuesday 18 October 2022

Play: Iphigenia in Splott

Tonight, I booked for Iphigenia in Splott, in the Lyric Hammersmith. Having had no really good eating experiences in Hammersmith, I headed back to O' Neills - for the first time in a week! And yes, the friendly waiter with the topknot recognised me, which was nice. I have to say - after a couple of days of Greene King pies, the O' Neill's chicken katsu curry didn't quite compare: but I still prefer the atmosphere here. Great to have the choice, so close to home!

It was always going to be Tube to get there, of course. Now, if you take the Circle, or Hammersmith and City, lines, it's a separate station - across the road, actually - from Hammersmith Broadway, where the Piccadilly Line station is. And if you take the Circle or Hammersmith and City - as I did - you come out right across from the theatre - just hang a right and you'll see it, across another road. So in I went - and was most impressed with the decor in the ground-floor cafe!

And so upstairs, and to the first-floor cafe - where, shock horror, they had no cake! Damnit, I'd been looking forward to that. I do see, however, that they've developed their food offering, now offering main meals up to 9pm, five days a week! Must check that out, in future. Meantime, I had a glass of sauvignon blanc - which, I must say, was sharper than I am used to. I was early enough to get a decent seat at a table for four. By 6.45 - 45 minutes before start time - the place was overflowing. I ended up sharing my table with two elderly ladies, one of whom explained that her daughter had urged her to see this, said it was amazing. She was unsure about how to pronounce it, though.. They were appalled to hear that they had to go upstairs again for the theatre, but relieved to be told there are lifts.

Me, I went up when I'd finished my wine:


That rear wall is composed of flourescent strips - some askew, doubtless a reflection of the squalid world in which our Iphigenia - "Iffy", as she calls herself - lives. Cardiff, she's from. And there are many who will not warm to her upon meeting her - loud-mouthed as she is, clad in trackies all day, sculling vodka and weed.

But oh, just you wait until she starts to tell her story. I have not seen a performance like this since Jodie Comer in Prima Facie. The blurb describes it as "shattering", and it is that - an amazing piece of writing, a stunning piece of acting, and a scathing indictment of modern Britain. By the end, having lived through her experience with her, I guarantee you will have changed your opinion of her diametrically. The standing ovation was well-deserved. Run and get a ticket - this is only on till Saturday!

Tomorrow, was supposed to have drinks with Ivan. But now it turns out he has Covid, so that's off the menu. Instead, I'm headed to hear the London Handel Players perform At Their Majesties' Pleasure, a programme of Baroque dance music, at St. John's Smith Square. Courtesy of TAC.

On Thursday, back with Civilised London for dinner at Le Sacré Coeur. Always good.

On Friday, back to Ireland again. Film for Saturday is looking like The Banshees of Inisherin! Another written and directed by Martin McDonagh, starring Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell as lifelong friends who live together on a remote island off the West coast of Ireland: except Brendan is finally sick of Colin. Also starring both Jon Kenny and Pat Shortt (past constituent members of d' Unbelievables), as well as Barry Keoghan, this is looking like comedy gold!

Monday is my mother's birthday, so I'm staying in Ireland for that - looking at films for Sunday, I think I can get away with seeing Emily - a film that imagines Emily Brontë as a rebellious lass. I'll be interested in this - Wuthering Heights has always been one of my favourites, and the trailer looks good. It's on a bit late, but I should be ok. Stars Adrian Dunbar as her father. Both films showing in Ennis.

I don't think I'll manage a film on Monday - if I can, all that's on in the afternoon is Halloween Ends. Looks like a real reprise of the original, with the "final" confrontation between Jamie Lee Curtis and her maniacal brother. Anway, flying back next Tuesday. I've already cleared it with work.

On the 26th, I've booked with UITCS again - for Mary, at Hampstead Theatre again. Political machinations in the court of Mary, Queen of Scots. Funny thing - there were two seats in the main seating section at the cheapest price, but the site objected to me just booking one of them. No problem booking an equivalent seat in a higher price bracket, though! So I booked one of the high seats, at the back, instead. At the lower price.

I hadn't anything booked for the 27th - was thinking film - and then Ticket Text (one of hundreds of ticket organisations I seem to have signed up for) sent me an advertising email. So, it seems that night the comedy venue, 21Soho, is holding an event of Comedians Telling Spooky Stories. Which sounds the business, for the week that's in it. So I booked. Hallowe'en fancy dress, apparently - well, I'll have a think. I do have some duds that might do.. 😜

The 28th, I've kept free for an all-night drinking session with Ivan. Man, I've missed these! In vino veritas, as they say, and these are wonderful chances to get stuff off your chest. He fancied doing it earlier, but I didn't want to have to take time off work - this was the first overnighter I could fit in. And with him taking ill, it seems it was just as well! I hope he can make this one.

Which should make the 29th interesting - I'm on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Might not actually get to bed in between.. this one is the Edgy London Walking Tour, and is one of his new ones.

And yes, I have something to do that evening! (This month is far too busy.) I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for the Game of Candles - their Hallowe'en offering, where they extinguish a candle for every spooky story told. Tim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson - in King's Place, lovely! I can walk (or stagger) home..

No comments:

Post a Comment