Tuesday 11 October 2022

Talk: Does Dark Matter Really Matter?

Tonight, signed up for another of The Garden Talks' free online talks - this one was Does Dark Matter Really Matter? I did consider going to a film instead, but what with films I wasn't interested in - and some Film Festival offerings that were sold out - what was left at the top of the list didn't appeal as much as this.

Ate in O' Neill's, of course - which was excellent, apart from the super-loud table right by my left ear! Lordy, I begin to see what my mother is complaining about when she starts on about things being too loud. Well, with the whole evening at my disposal, of course I'd left it a bit late - so, quick as they were in serving me, I ended up rushing home: particularly as I had to stop off to shop first! Dashed upstairs - and first, Meetup decided to log me out. Then the link to the talk wouldn't work. Then - it made me sign up to a subscription! Crikey, I know it's a while since I last joined one of these - and they are interesting - but when did they start charging? There was no mention of it on the event page! Well, they offer a free (14-day) trial to begin, so I signed up for that - and was FINALLY allowed into the talk. Which, mercifully, was on the point of starting - running a few minutes late.


Young and enthusiastic fellow they had, giving the talk.. and he did give an energetic and exciting talk. Well, talking about the grand matter of the universe is exactly the thing to do that with. I don't actually think I learned anything new - but that's just because I have already heard and read so much around this. Dark matter - invisible to us and detectable only through its effect on surrounding matter - seems to be the powerhouse that drives the universe - of which it makes up 6/7. But what is it? Well now, that's the question.

Speaking of questions, the great thing about a forum like this, of course, is the facility to ask questions - you can upvote other listeners' questions, and when the talk is finished, the MC goes through them in order of the number of upvotes, for as much time as is left. Now, as the presenter answered these - which he did quite willingly - he did have to repeat himself a bit, and obviously the questions wouldn't have been at the same level as those of any students he might have to teach. I did think I detected a little dumbing-down of the language in his responses - or maybe I imagined it. Honestly, it'd be a big ask for him not to have done it, even unconsciously. Well anyway, it's a fascinating subject, and I'm glad I joined.

And afterwards, I immediately cancelled my free trial. I don't have time to listen to anything for the remainder of it, and I know where to find them if I want to re-join.

Tomorrow, heehee. Back with Darkfield. (Cue scary music.) They're also doing shows in Canary Wharf this year - three, in fact. This is the first night for those.. and yes, I'm doing all three, that night. In fact, they allow for that when you're booking. So, I'm doing them in the following order: first is Eulogy, an unusual Darkfield concept in that it's somewhat interactive, at various points you have to say "yes" or "no".. Wouldn't you know it though, this evening, over dinner, it suddenly occurred to me - that I am supposed to have a work meeting tomorrow! Till 5. And this starts at 5.30. Could I get there in time? Not a chance. I've emailed them to see whether I can change the ticket - no response yet. Silly me - the meeting was scheduled after I started the job, which was after I booked this: but it was only this evening that it occurred to me. Well, can't be helped..

Second up, I chose Coma (they all have multiple showings, so you can decide exactly what you want to go to, and when. They just ask that you leave at least 15 minutes between, which I have.) For this one, we get to lie down, I think - which is nice - and get an option to take a pill. :-) And since it starts at 7, I should be able to make it, regardless.

Final for the night is the one I've heard the best reviews of - Flight is a reconstruction of an aircraft cabin, and the show is based around - well, a plane crash! Booked all of these while waiting for an eternally delayed flight - as I say, every cloud has a silver lining..

Thursday is the next of my busy days. See, first I booked with Civilised London (CL) for Tango After Dark, at the Peacock. All good, no-brainer. Then I was messaged by an ex-colleague - another ex-colleague is having leaving drinks that same night, in the Pelt Trader! Hellfire.. so, what I'm going to do is skip drinks with CL after the show and leg it over to the Pelt Trader - I've ordered her not to stop drinking till I get there!

On Friday, something advertised with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) - they're celebrating all things Mexican in Kew Gardens, with Mexico After Hours! With something about the Day of the Dead, no doubt..

Saturday is another of those busy days. So.. first I'm headed on a walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - this one is Paddington - Proud, Perky & Picturesque.

But, for nearly a year now, I've had tickets booked, for me and Helen, for Dara O' Briain in the Hammersmith Apollo that night! Crikey, I'd never even have thought of it if it hadn't been noted in my calendar. So anyway, she can't come to the walk, but we'll meet for dinner beforehand in Bill's of Hammersmith. I can only hope for better service than I got in Bill's of Clink Street..

On Sunday, back with the CCC for Inisfáil, Irish storytelling courtesy of the wonderful Clare Murphy, in the British Museum. And I'm trying to get my ticket for Eulogy rescheduled to that evening, at the same time, which would fit perfectly.. watch this space.

On Monday, I originally booked a free online talk about Railways of Surrey, from the Surrey History Meetup. But I just recently saw (despite the fact that it was evidently posted months ago) an event from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - Samsara is inspired by the Chinese novel, Journey to the West, and contains partial nudity, we're told. Tickets for this are quite cheap, and we're all in the Stalls, for once - they haven't even opened the Second Circle, where we normally are! So, no stairs, for a change!

Next Tuesday, I've booked for Iphigenia in Splott, in the Lyric Hammersmith.

On the 19th, supposed to have drinks with Ivan! Might go to O' Neill's, we could do worse.

On the 20th, back with CL for dinner at Le Sacré Coeur. Always good.

On the 21st, back to Ireland again - and the following Monday, it's my mother's birthday, so I'm staying in Ireland for that and flying back on Tuesday 25th. I've already cleared it with work.

On the 26th, I've booked with UITCS again - for Mary, at Hampstead Theatre again. Political machinations in the court of Mary, Queen of Scots. Funny thing - there were two seats in the main seating section at the cheapest price, but the site objected to me just booking one of them. No problem booking an equivalent seat in a higher price bracket, though! So I booked one of the high seats, at the back, instead. At the lower price.

I hadn't anything booked for the 27th - was thinking film - and then Ticket Text (one of hundreds of ticket organisations I seem to have signed up for) today sent me an advertising email. So, it seems that night the comedy venue, 21Soho, is holding an event of Comedians Telling Spooky Stories. Which sounds the business, for the week that's in it. So I booked. Hallowe'en fancy dress, apparently - well, I'll have a think. I do have some duds that might do.. 😜

The 28th, I've kept free for an all-night drinking session with Ivan. Man, I've missed these! In vino veritas, as they say, and these are wonderful chances to get stuff off your chest. He fancied doing it earlier, but I didn't want to have to take time off work - this was the first overnighter I could fit in.

Which should make the 29th interesting - I'm on another walk with Laurence and the 45+s! Might not actually get to bed in between.. this one is the Edgy London Walking Tour, and is one of his new ones.

And yes, I have something to do that evening! (This month is far too busy.) I'm back with the CCC, for the Game of Candles - their Hallowe'en offering, where they extinguish a candle for every spooky story told. Tim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson - in King's Place, lovely! I can walk (or stagger) home..

No comments:

Post a Comment