Sunday 23 October 2022

Film: The Banshees of Inisherin

Back in Ireland again, courtesy of Ryanair: who finally managed to get the flight out on time - by boarding priority and non-priority passengers together. Well jeez, if it works..! Pity there was little aircon, and the flight was stifling - but you can't have  everything.

Film for yesterday looked like The Banshees of Inisherin! Another written and directed by Martin McDonagh, starring Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell as lifelong friends who live together on a remote island off the West coast of Ireland: except Brendan is finally sick of Colin. Also starring both Jon Kenny and Pat Shortt (as the publican) (both past constituent members of d' Unbelievables), as well as Barry KeoghanShowing in Ennis.

Well, my mother warned me of a big match in Cusack Park - near which I'd be parking. Duly warned, I headed out early.. despite this, and despite driving around and around for half an hour, I could get parking nowhere. Streams of cars doing the same thing - I finally gave up on the film entirely (just as well I hadn't booked) and said, well, I might as well derive some use from my day - I headed to Limerick. Got my shopping there, although I didn't get to the cinema. Cheaper petrol in Limerick, too.

For today - would you believe it, she warned me of another match in Cusack Park! So I gave up on Ennis entirely and headed straight to the Omniplex - booked my ticket, as it was already over half full (they're showing this film in two screens, and my screening was in the smallest of the whole cinema). Despite heavy traffic in the city - and avoiding O' Connell Street as usual because of horrendous, never-ending roadworks - I managed to get there, and get settled, just in time..

Wow. Well, my first impression was - this is a real recreation of life in old Ireland. It's set in 1923, on a remote island off the West Coast - people live in little cottages. And the feeling is pretty authentic, from what I can tell - I've never lived in one, but have been in them, and the light from the little windows is right, the construction seems right - Colin Farrell's character brings farm animals into the house, old women wander around in black shawls, the pub looks authentic. Far as I can tell, this is Ireland in 1923 - in a remote community.

He's not set it in that year accidentally - the Civil War was raging. A direct result of the treaty that gave Ireland independence, the war was fought between the pro-treaty faction (who believed Ireland could expect no better - the Free Staters) and the anti-treaty faction (who thought the others had sold out). It's glimpsed in this film - we can see the odd explosion on the mainland, the locals sometimes discuss it. As one says, he hardly knows which side is winning - it was all easier when they were just all killing the English (in the War of Independence, which had finished a couple of years before).

Meantime, on the island, these two old friends are at loggerheads. You might see it as an allegory of the Civil War, a disagreement blown out of proportion, neither side willing to back down - a conflict that tears the whole community apart. And it does become quite gruesome - it's not a secret, having been revealed in the trailer, that Brendan threatens to cut off one of his fingers with a pair of shears he has, if Colin says another word to him! Other grievances come to light too. It's no wonder that Colin's sister never has a good word to say about the place, which she finds insular and mean-spirited.

Oh, and yes, it is a comedy! A very, very black comedy. The animals have as much star quality as the humans - and do look out for the small moments of levity. Like the benighted publican, trying to keep things normal. Or the idiocy of Colin's character. Or the sheer surreal nature of the whole thing! McDonagh's parents were from the West of Ireland, apparently - and I think he's got it down pat.

The scenery is stunning - and it was filmed during the blistering summer that Ireland got last year, during lockdown! (They managed one day of rain, which might be artificial.) It was, indeed, filmed on a couple of West coast islands - I can see tourism to the West coast soaring. The little cottages are as claustrophobic as the society of the island on which they're built. Lovers of traditional Irish music, rejoice - Brendan Gleeson's character is a musician, and there's trad aplenty - the title of the film comes from a tune he composes.

The story ends up being quite shocking - and won't be for everyone. But it's beautifully shot, marvellously acted - apparently got a 15-minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival. Yes, this is making waves.

Tomorrow is my mother's birthday, so I'm staying in Ireland for that - I don't think I'll manage a film, what with the guy coming to fix the boiler (at an unspecified time) and me having to be here to meet him, and also having to be here in the evening. Next film up is Emily, but the earliest showing is 5.55pm. Anway, flying back on Tuesday. I've cleared it with work.

On Wednesday, I've booked with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again - for Mary, at Hampstead Theatre again. Political machinations in the court of Mary, Queen of Scots. Funny thing - there were two seats in the main seating section at the cheapest price, but the site objected to me just booking one of them. No problem booking an equivalent seat in a higher price bracket, though! So I booked one of the high seats, at the back, instead. At the lower price.

I hadn't anything booked for Thursday - was thinking film - and then Ticket Text (one of hundreds of ticket organisations I seem to have signed up for) sent me an advertising email. So, it seems that night the comedy venue, 21Soho, is holding an event of Comedians Telling Spooky Stories. Which sounds the business, for the week that's in it. So I booked. Hallowe'en fancy dress, apparently - well, I'll have a think. I do have some duds that might do.. 😜

Friday, I've kept free for an all-night drinking session with Ivan. Man, I've missed these! In vino veritas, as they say, and these are wonderful chances to get stuff off your chest. He fancied doing it earlier, but I didn't want to have to take time off work - this was the first overnighter I could fit in. And with him taking ill, it seems it was just as well! I hope he can make this one.

Which should make Saturday interesting - I'm on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Might not actually get to bed in between.. this one is the Edgy London Walking Tour, and is one of his new ones.

And yes, I have something to do that evening! (This month is far too busy.) I'm back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC), for the Game of Candles - their Hallowe'en offering, where they extinguish a candle for every spooky story told. Tim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson - in King's Place, lovely! I can walk (or stagger) home..

Next Sunday, I dug out something interesting on Meetup, from a new group to me - London Social & Cultural Meetups is headed to evensong at the church of St. Bartholomew the Great. Gorgeous church, sounds great - unfortunately, their event is full, but I can head along on my own.

Ahh.. and then, 'tis Hallowe'en.. yes, of course I have something for that. Do you remember me mentioning I was going to five Darkfield events this month? Eagle-eyed readers will have noticed I've reviewed four.. which leaves one. For Hallowe'en - the only one they're running that night. Séance, appropriately, which, it seems, was their first ever show - I do have to go all the way up to Watford for it, but it should be worth it. I've booked the first showing of the evening, which is at 7 - you never know, I might squeeze something else in!

On the 1st, the horror continues - I've booked with TAC for The Drought, a short horror play at The Old Red Lion. Part of their Grimfest Festival!

On the 2nd, back with the CCC for their annual Day of the Dead event - this one is at Rich Mix. Stars Daniel Morden, Clare Murphy, Lucy Lill, and TUUP - and all but Clare Murphy, I haven't seen in an age! In fact, I've never heard of Lucy Lill before..

On the 3rd, back with UITCS - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. Suggestion of eating beforehand at Mercato Metropolitano. Then back to Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 7th, with nothing on Meetup, I'm currently thinking of heading to see the Carnaby Street Christmas lights, which will be up by then.

On the 8th, headed to see John Gabriel Borkman, by Ibsen, at the Bridge Theatre.

On the 9th - oh dear, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue Posts. Well, watch this space - and remember, no tickets actually required!

On the 10th, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On the 11th, heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club.

On the 12th, planning another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! As of now, of the four people I've invited, one is a pretty certain "no" and two more are iffy, as they might have to be abroad. Jeez.. If it's just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, I think we'll head somewhere different. For variety. On the other hand, Imad's Syrian Kitchen is right off Carnaby Street.. and the lights are probably going to be cool.. Of course, there is the small issue of the irregularity of the wine measures!

On the 13th, back with the CCC at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

And on the 14th, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

No comments:

Post a Comment