Wednesday 19 October 2022

Concert: At Their Majesties' Pleasure

Tonight, was supposed to have drinks with Ivan. But now it turns out he has Covid, so that was off the menu. Instead, I headed to hear the London Handel Players perform At Their Majesties' Pleasure, a programme of Baroque dance music, at St. John's Smith Square. Courtesy of TAC.

Unable to think of anywhere decent to eat around there, I ate in O' Neill's again. Which, you see, is close to where I'd have to catch a bus. And I'm happy to report that the spell of Greene King's pies seems to have worn off - I found my dinner exceedingly yummy. Could have done without the exceedingly loud group of guys beside me, mind - but then, I frequently did, they nipped out for a smoke so often! and duly left me in peace to finish my dinner.

I took a couple of buses - had a cold wait in between - and arrived quite early. Somehow, the guy who gave me my ticket neglected to accompany it with a programme. Never mind, I headed to the cafe, and had a very nice glass of wine. I see I could actually have eaten here - they also do steak and ale pies. Must bear that in mind, next time! Terribly polite staff, too.

Wine drunk, I headed up the stone spiral staircase. Seating was unassigned.

A lovely programme, even if I didn't know exactly what was being played. But wow, I hadn't expected dancers! Baroque dancers, at that - and in costume. They were mentioned in the show description, but I hadn't read it carefully enough.


Ah, it was gorgeous - we started with 16th century music, including Purcell (I gleaned by a glance at someone's programme). And the dancers danced appropriately for the time, including the Courante, apparently Louis XIV's favourite! Also the minuet, which I've danced myself. Interesting to think that the French court had such a huge effect on Charles II of England - he lived there, in exile, for about 10 years, after all!

We were told how Baroque music lasted a very long time - Handel flourished under the reign of George II, nearly 100 years after Charles II! And lo, we got a more modern outfit from the dancing lady:


The concert finished with a Sarabande - considered rather licentious for its time, and banned by the Catholic Church in Spain, where it originated! Cue much laughter from the audience - crikey, I didn't find it surprising, knowing the Catholic Church as I do..



And before we were let leave, they dragged (most of) the audience up in a chain dance! Great night, and not at all what I expected. I was sorry not to meet Ivan - but delighted not to miss this!

And on the way home, seeing my bus wasn't coming any time soon, I recalculated my directions and made my way home quicker, if in a more convoluted way..! Ah, the joys of the Hopper.

Tomorrow, back with Civilised London for dinner at Le Sacré Coeur. Always good.

On Friday, back to Ireland again. Film for Saturday is looking like The Banshees of Inisherin! Another written and directed by Martin McDonagh, starring Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell as lifelong friends who live together on a remote island off the West coast of Ireland: except Brendan is finally sick of Colin. Also starring both Jon Kenny and Pat Shortt (past constituent members of d' Unbelievables), as well as Barry Keoghan, this is looking like comedy gold!

Monday is my mother's birthday, so I'm staying in Ireland for that - looking at films for Sunday, I think I can get away with seeing Emily - a film that imagines Emily Brontë as a rebellious lass. I'll be interested in this - Wuthering Heights has always been one of my favourites, and the trailer looks good. It's on a bit late, but I should be ok. Stars Adrian Dunbar as her father. Both films showing in Ennis.

I don't think I'll manage a film on Monday - if I can, all that's on in the afternoon is Halloween Ends. Looks like a real reprise of the original, with the "final" confrontation between Jamie Lee Curtis and her maniacal brother. Anway, flying back on Tuesday. I've already cleared it with work.

Next Wednesday, I've booked with Up in the Cheap Seats again - for Mary, at Hampstead Theatre again. Political machinations in the court of Mary, Queen of Scots. Funny thing - there were two seats in the main seating section at the cheapest price, but the site objected to me just booking one of them. No problem booking an equivalent seat in a higher price bracket, though! So I booked one of the high seats, at the back, instead. At the lower price.

I hadn't anything booked for the 27th - was thinking film - and then Ticket Text (one of hundreds of ticket organisations I seem to have signed up for) sent me an advertising email. So, it seems that night the comedy venue, 21Soho, is holding an event of Comedians Telling Spooky Stories. Which sounds the business, for the week that's in it. So I booked. Hallowe'en fancy dress, apparently - well, I'll have a think. I do have some duds that might do.. 😜

The 28th, I've kept free for an all-night drinking session with Ivan. Man, I've missed these! In vino veritas, as they say, and these are wonderful chances to get stuff off your chest. He fancied doing it earlier, but I didn't want to have to take time off work - this was the first overnighter I could fit in. And with him taking ill, it seems it was just as well! I hope he can make this one.

Which should make the 29th interesting - I'm on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Might not actually get to bed in between.. this one is the Edgy London Walking Tour, and is one of his new ones.

And yes, I have something to do that evening! (This month is far too busy.) I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for the Game of Candles - their Hallowe'en offering, where they extinguish a candle for every spooky story told. Tim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson - in King's Place, lovely! I can walk (or stagger) home..

No comments:

Post a Comment