Monday 31 October 2022

Evensong

For yesterday, I dug out something interesting on Meetup, from a new group to me - London Social & Cultural Meetups headed to evensong at the church of St. Bartholomew the Great. Gorgeous church, sounded great - unfortunately, their event was full. But I just said I'd check yesterday afternoon - and lo, they had a couple of spaces! (People do have a habit of dropping out at the last minute.) So I booked, and moseyed along to meet them.


Again, I could walk - was one of the first to arrive, and yay! found them to be a most sociable group of people, most of whom I'd never met before. I think most hadn't been here before, and we spent some time chatting - amongst ourselves, and also with the organiser about the church.


We then went in for a stroll around - caveat, they have regulations about tour groups, particularly on Sundays, and we kind of fell foul of the lady at the door - our organiser had checked in advance, but hadn't been told anything about these restrictions. Never mind, we seemed to reassure her that we were a respectable bunch, and in we went. With an admonition to be quiet - fair enough, the choir was practicing. Now, of course, I've been in here lots, so this was the end of my photo-taking, sorry. But check the other posts tagged with the church's name - the appearance hasn't changed since I took photos for them!

Anyway, it's a fascinating place, and we spent some time mooching around, including a brief trip back outside so our organiser could tell us a bit more about the history. Have to say, I'm really appreciating the handrails they've put in on the steps up to the graveyard. Anyway, we returned inside when it was time, positioning ourselves near the door for a quick getaway - most of us didn't want to stay for the service. Beautiful singing, stunning setting, with the candlelight throwing a warm light on the stonework. And you know, it's amazing how closely the Anglican service resembles the Catholic one, even in the rhythm of the words! (We also heard a bit of that.)

We left after a short while, creeping out as discreetly as we could. Ended up in The Rising Sun for a drink or two - and had a great old natter! I even got a possible lead on white mulled wine, from someone who claimed they sell in it the Southbank Christmas market.. hmm, this merits investigation. Wow, I needed this outing - delighted to have found another friendly group! Hope to have many more outings with them. Now, a couple of guys headed to a vegetarian Indian street market afterwards - naw, I fancied something different. The Lucas Arms was full on the way home, so I headed for O' Neill's - where downstairs was completely full, and I was lucky to get one of the last two tables upstairs! Looked like the NFL was showing.. Anyway, I was well-fed, as ever. It ran too late to blog, of course, given that I wanted to get up for work.

And that was my last non-scary thing this week. Ahh.. today, 'tis Hallowe'en.. yes, of course I have something for that. Do you remember me mentioning I was going to five Darkfield events this month? Eagle-eyed readers will have noticed I've reviewed four.. which leaves one. I'm going to the only one they're running tonight. Séance, appropriately, which, it seems, was their first ever show - I do have to go all the way up to Watford for it, but it should be worth it. I've booked the first showing of the evening, which is at 7.

Deliberately booked early, to try and squeeze something else in. Now, that only lasts 20 minutes - and it seems I can get down to Leicester Square within an hour. Which gives me time to get to Prey for the Devil, showing at Cineworld Leicester Square at 9pm. Another exorcism story, this one unusually seems to have the exorcism performed by a nun! (Very egalitarian.) She gets around the Church's rules about women not doing such a thing by claiming that the same demon that possessed her own mother is now inhabiting a patient at the facility where she works. So this nun is probably a target. Well, it's probably not high art, but it should do the trick..

Ah, but.. that blasted film list never now gets updated until the Friday - with the films due to show on the week starting that Friday! Poor you, if you wanted to go to a film that Friday.. So - just checked it on Friday, and lo, there's a new kid on the block. Barbarian - very obviously released with the Hallowe'en market in mind - looks like a jumpscare film. But it has some good credentials, coming from "an executive producer" of The Ring and The Grudge, both excellent films. In this one, a young woman comes to Detroit for a job interview, books a house through Airbnb. (Ah, we know where this is going..) Well, from what I can glean from the trailer, the house already has someone renting it. But it's late at night, and he seems fine - whereas the neighbourhood really isn't. So she decides to stay the night and move on in the morning. Biig mistake.. ooh, and it seems to have a really big basement.

The teaser trailer spends the whole time showing us audience reactions! This is currently very highly rated - probably won't stay that high, but frankly, it has a long way to fall to get down to where Prey for the Devil is! Showing in the Odeon Tottenham Court Road, at 9.30 - and I can walk home from there! Ah, happy days when it was actually my local cinema..

Tomorrow, the horror continues - I've booked with TAC again for The Drought, a short horror play at Grimfest at the Old Red Lion again.

On Wednesday, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for their annual Day of the Dead event - this one is at Rich Mix. Stars Daniel MordenClare MurphyLucy Lill, and TUUP - and all but Clare Murphy, I haven't seen in an age! In fact, I've never heard of Lucy Lill before..

On Thursday,  I was to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. Suggestion of eating beforehand at Mercato Metropolitano. But wouldn't you know it, that night's performance was cancelled.. Instead, I'm off to a talk at Watkin's Bookshop (which also has a Meetup presence!). Theme is The First Ghosts, by Irving Finkel - ghost stories have been around for a long time..! He's written a book about the first evidence of tales of the supernatural.. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, with nothing on Meetup, I thought about heading to see the Carnaby Street Christmas lights, which will be up by then. But I had another look at what's on, and have now booked for Piano Passions at Cadogan Hall - Beethoven and Chopin, gorgeous!

On the 8th, headed to see John Gabriel Borkman, by Ibsen, at the Bridge Theatre.

On the 9th - originally, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue Posts. Now, instead, I've changed my booking for Noor to this night. Sadly, not with the group, who rearranged for a night I can't go.

On the 10th, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On the 11th, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just on Thursday, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I'm back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket won't go to waste!

On the 12th, planning another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! As of now, of the four people I've invited, one is a pretty certain "no" and two more are iffy, as they might have to be abroad. Jeez.. If it's just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, I think we'll head somewhere different. For variety. On the other hand, Imad's Syrian Kitchen is right off Carnaby Street.. and the lights are probably going to be cool.. Of course, there is the small issue of the irregularity of the wine measures!

On the 13th, back with the CCC at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On the 14th, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On the 15th, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going..

On the 16th, Im back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On the 17th, I'm back with UITCS at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. And for once, not going to the cinema that weekend - instead, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment