Monday 17 October 2022

Dance: Samsara

Tonight, I originally booked a free online talk about Railways of Surrey, from the Surrey History Meetup. But I just recently saw (despite the fact that it was evidently posted months ago) an event in Sadler's Wells from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - Samsara is inspired by the Chinese novel, Journey to the West, and contains partial nudity, we were told. Tickets for this are quite cheap, and we were all in the Stalls, for once - they haven't even opened the Second Circle, where we normally are! So, no stairs, for a change!

It's not a long walk from home, for me. (Whee!) I figured I'd eat on the way - and checking what there was to eat on the way, I thought - why don't I go to The Lucas Arms? Laurence had good things to say about it, and it's my local.. but I'd never been in. Plus, it's a Greene King pub.. the chain I've been with for the past two days. I'm becoming a cheerleader for them, eh? So, I popped in there - it was pretty empty, staff were friendly. And I looked at what, by now, is a familiar menu, and thought - that was a cracking pie I had yesterday. I think I'll have another.

And by 'eck, this pie was cracking as well! (I'm also becoming a cheerleader for that!) I see, from the menu, it's award-winning - I can see why. And the gravy has merlot in it. Yep, I have another pub favourite.. had a second glass of wine before I set off.

Wended my way through backstreets, and what a relief not to have to climb stairs at Sadler's Wells! As I remarked to the organiser, who'd arrived first - that's what I always associate with the place, the long climb upstairs. Instead, we occupied a sofa in the lobby and chatted merrily until it was time to go in.


It's only an hour or so long - but such intensity. It's basically the story of a Chinese monk who journeyed to the west (from his perspective, Central Asia, the Indian subcontinent, or thereabouts) - and the performance mixes elements of both traditions in what is a beautiful show, rendered even more ethereal by the streams of sand, constantly pouring from the ceiling onto the dancers. Booming over it all is what, for me, is the most powerful element - original music composed for this show, and played live on stage, the band hidden in darkness to the rear. It's quite overwhelming.

I was delighted to stay for the Q+A at the end, where we heard the lead dancers, and the musical composer, who also sings, describe the origins of the piece. We heard how the Chinese dancer is a celebrity back home - he certainly seemed to have some groupies, down the front - and how the global lockdown delayed everything.. and the composer of the music explained how she integrated so many different elements into it, including Tibetan throat singing. Quite an evening! Highly recommended, for something a bit different - last performance is tomorrow, though. Unfortunately, staying for the Q+A meant I missed the others, afterwards - but it was good to see them beforehand, anyhow.

Tomorrow, I've booked for Iphigenia in Splott, in the Lyric Hammersmith.

On Wednesday, was supposed to have drinks with Ivan. But now it turns out he has Covid, so that's off the menu. Instead, I'm headed to hear the London Handel Players perform At Their Majesties' Pleasure, a programme of Baroque dance music, at St. John's Smith Square. Courtesy of TAC.

On Thursday, back with Civilised London for dinner at Le Sacré Coeur. Always good.

On Friday, back to Ireland again - and next Monday, it's my mother's birthday, so I'm staying in Ireland for that and flying back on Tuesday 25th. I've already cleared it with work.

On the 26th, I've booked with UITCS again - for Mary, at Hampstead Theatre again. Political machinations in the court of Mary, Queen of Scots. Funny thing - there were two seats in the main seating section at the cheapest price, but the site objected to me just booking one of them. No problem booking an equivalent seat in a higher price bracket, though! So I booked one of the high seats, at the back, instead. At the lower price.

I hadn't anything booked for the 27th - was thinking film - and then Ticket Text (one of hundreds of ticket organisations I seem to have signed up for) sent me an advertising email. So, it seems that night the comedy venue, 21Soho, is holding an event of Comedians Telling Spooky Stories. Which sounds the business, for the week that's in it. So I booked. Hallowe'en fancy dress, apparently - well, I'll have a think. I do have some duds that might do.. 😜

The 28th, I've kept free for an all-night drinking session with Ivan. Man, I've missed these! In vino veritas, as they say, and these are wonderful chances to get stuff off your chest. He fancied doing it earlier, but I didn't want to have to take time off work - this was the first overnighter I could fit in. And with him taking ill, it seems it was just as well! I hope he can make this one.

Which should make the 29th interesting - I'm on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Might not actually get to bed in between.. this one is the Edgy London Walking Tour, and is one of his new ones.

And yes, I have something to do that evening! (This month is far too busy.) I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for the Game of Candles - their Hallowe'en offering, where they extinguish a candle for every spooky story told. Tim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson - in King's Place, lovely! I can walk (or stagger) home..

No comments:

Post a Comment