Saturday 1 October 2022

Film: Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

The weekend's film was one I'd never even heard of until recently, when someone was talking about it! Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris is a comedy about a 1950s cleaning lady (Lesley Manville), who dreams of owning a Dior dress - so, off she goes to Paris for it! Based on a book, it seems - and from the trailer, it looked like the absolutely charming story of a middle-aged lady who finally gets the chance to fulfil a few of her dreams! Showing in Ennis, again.

Set off early - and I was to be glad of it, the difficulty I had parking! (There was a match in town.) Heading into the cinema, I passed a group of teenagers, congregated outside. Bought my ticket and settled into my seat, in an empty screen. Some time into the film, a group of teenagers came in, sat at the back (they were probably the same I'd seen outside). This was all fine, I didn't care - until their loud conversation started to disrupt my enjoyment of the film. I tried asking them politely, I tried yelling at them to shut up. Finally, I went and got an usher - a middle-aged man came with me, and stayed standing at the back of the screen through the rest of the film. I was chatting to him as I'd left - seems he'd already ejected them and they came back. Well, his presence quietened them, and they weren't having much fun at the film, so were all gone well before the end of it. Hallelujah!

Meanwhile.. with this set in the 1950s, I was interested to see the differences. Well, the cars were more stylish - wow, that red convertible that the Dior model zips around in is the business! And, of course, there's the fact that Mrs. Harris flies to Paris, whereas these days she'd probably take the train. Not everyone had their own phone line, never mind mobile.. Battersea Town Hall (now the Battersea Arts Centre) is a lot scruffier, with peeling plaster.. and these days, I wouldn't fancy your chances, approaching a group of homeless people in the station, as she does. I certainly think she'd at least have been robbed.

Which brings us to the similarities - some things never change, it seems, such as the cyclist that nearly runs her down in London. And these days, they don't even have smog as an excuse! The streets are covered in litter - in Paris, in the film, it's because of a binmen's strike; in London, that's certainly standard where I live, despite recent complimentary comments in the media about how clean London was for the funeral.

But anyway, although this film does touch on social issues, it's primarily a complete fairytale, where an ordinary woman has an extraordinary run of good luck, and follows her dreams. And because of her kind and helpful nature, she finds people to help her at every turn. Well.. it sometimes happens - just not often. But this is a flight of fantasy - with some gorgeous couture, to be fair; much classier than today's haute couture, most of which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. And the beginning - where she has reversals, and doubts her plans - and end, with a lovely twist - are quite moving. Yep, I enjoyed this! Recommended, for people who love swishy dresses.

Back to London tomorrow, and on Monday, I'd booked with 50-50 Trivia again for the afternoon - and then cancelled, because of the job, which starts next week! Rescheduled from the day of the Queen's funeral. However, I've now told them I'm coming again, because I just found out they won't be ready to start me on Monday, it'll be Tuesday.. Then Ivan is supposed to be back, and has suggested going for a drink in the evening - I have to check with him tomorrow night, when I'm back from Ireland, though.

On Tuesday, I "provisionally" booked with  Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again - this time, for Down and Out in Clerkenwell, ironically very near to where I live. Again, I had to cancel this because, as he says, I'll have gone from "provisional" to "professional"! He's kindly offered me the chance to come to lunch with them at least, if I can manage it, at the Bowler - well, we'll see, but I'd be lucky.

That evening, at any rate, I'm with the 45+s again - this time for a classical concert, at St. John's, Smith Square. OMG it's years since I was last there - and they have discounted tickets!

On Wednesday, I "provisionally" booked for the Soho Comedy Factory again.. but lo, was saved from having to make another of those difficult decisions, when Up in the Cheap Seats posted a trip to see The Boy with Two Hearts, at the National! Based on another true story, of a refugee family from Afghanistan, with a little boy who needs heart surgery. Interestingly, I thought to use my Theatre Token for this - since I was finally booking something during box office hours, and could ring them up; few theatres take them online. But I had to book by phone for that - which incurs a £3 fee that other booking methods don't! So I left it, and just booked a ticket online for full price. Was perplexed when it wouldn't accept my card - until somehow I was logged into my National Theatre account, and noticed I had an old billing address. When I changed it, I had no further problems. There's a moral there. (Interestingly again, I couldn't even my attendance at the comedy club - they now close RSVPs very early!)

On Thursday, I was thinking film - but what was coming up wasn't as interesting as what the same group is advertising in Hampstead Theatre. So I booked to go and see Ravenscourt with them - a medical drama, centred on the failings of the mental healthcare system. And yay, for this I finally used my Theatre Token! (No phone booking fee, here.) Well, that's a weight off..

Then I'm back to Ireland again, because of the dates I have weekend things in London this month, and the date of my mother's birthday, which I want to be back in Ireland for. It all works out - but only if I switch weekends, which I'm doing by coming back to Ireland again next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment