Thursday 7 July 2022

The London Necropolis Virtual Tour

Ah, I'm lucky to live just down from O' Neill's King's Cross - have eaten there a few times now, and it's simply excellent. Not to mention the app whereby you can order from the table. Now, today I arrived just before 5 - to be recommended. It was full by about 5.35.. They have wine I like, and whereas previously I've had the "smothered" chicken (in bacon and BBQ sauce), today I had a change and went for the katsu curry chicken. This is their buttermilk-fried chicken, which I have to say is beautifully succulent, with a deliciously crispy coating - alternatively, you can have it with BBQ sauce, which I might try next time. Accompanied by onion rings, as usual. Yum! For dinnertime entertainment, we had the news - full of Boris' resignation! And I swear.. I could hear the intro to "Another One Bites the Dust" playing on loop in the bar..

Tonight, back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for The London Necropolis Virtual Tour. I pointed out to him, actually weeks ago, that the registration link had the wrong date, and he said it was outdated, and he'd replace it and send me the new link - well, he removed it, but no new link until this afternoon, although a few of us complained. Guess what though - he forgot to take payment. B-) Just sent us the link to watch - for free. Not so bad..




As per the first photo, he pointed out to us that there are several famous cemeteries in London. This talk, however, concerned Brookwood Cemetary, outside Woking - an overflow cemetery for London, served by the Necropolis Railway from Waterloo. Competition from other funeral companies, combined with a bomb strike on the Waterloo terminus during the Blitz, did for it - but it seems a fascinating place, with different sections for people of different religions, or who died in different ways! As usual, his soporific voice sent me to sleep - I woke as he broke for an interval, and I didn't know what was happening! Managed to stay awake for the end though, and the story of the Russian Orthodox monks (of all people) who live there, guarding the remains of St. Edward the Martyr. Well I never..

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again! I'll finally get to see Elvis - in the Omniplex this time, as it's no longer showing in the early afternoon in Ennis. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, and apparently as flamboyant as you'd expect from him, according to a glowing recommendation by someone I know who's just seen it! This is the story of Elvis (of course, there could only be one), played - apparently most realistically - by Austin Butler, with Tom Hanks as his manager, Col. Tom Parker, and Olivia DeJonge as his wife, Priscilla.

On Monday, I'm going to Favour, at the Bush Theatre - after much effort, as their website wasn't working for days! In fact, it seems to go down sporadically. I chose an unreserved seat, will be allocated one on the day. Anyway, I see TAC has now started selling tickets for this - gee, might be not only the cheapest, but the easiest way to book! Now only available for Wednesday. Wow, was only there once before, 3.5 years ago..

On Tuesday, I booked for The Southbury Child, at the Bridge Theatre. But then I noticed that Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) is going, later in the week - so switched my ticket to that night. The theatre is most obliging, that way, and gave me the seat next to the one I'd originally booked. Which leaves me free to go to a film on Tuesday. Well, I just checked the film list - and I see I'm falling foul of the curse of the summer, where I run out of high-rated films. Had I not booked for Elvis on Saturday, it'd have been that. Not only that, but what was left at the top of the list didn't appeal - until I got down to Thor: Love and Thunder.

Stars Chris Hemsworth in the title role, with, jeez - Natalie Portman as his ex-girlfriend: Christian Bale heavily made-up as the villain: Tessa Thompson as a valkyrie, as in Thor: Ragnarok - although I think in this one she's been promoted: the voice of Taika Waititi as an old god (he also directs and co-writes): Russell Crowe as ZeusChris Pratt as a star lord (no, me either): Dave Bautista as a kind of sympathetic mercenary (sorry, I just don't follow this stuff in general!): the voices of Vin Diesel (as a talking tree) and Bradley Cooper (as his raccoon sidekick): Ben Falcone as the Asgardian stage manager (!): Simon Russell Beale as Dionysus (way!): Tristan (Thor as a kid) and Sasha Hemsworth (an Asgardian kid) - Chris' twin sonsMatt Damon (uncredited) as an actor recreating Loki's part in Thor - Ragnarok: Luke Hemsworth (yes, Chris' brother) (uncredited) as an actor recreating Thor in Thor - Ragnarok (how appropriate!): Melissa McCarthy (uncredited) as an actor playing Loki's daughter: and Sam Neill (uncredited) as an actor playing Odin. Gee, you think they all really wanted to get involved..?!

Anyway. I loved Thor: Ragnarok, which is hilarious.. this isn't, apparently, as good, but as I say, top of the list of what's left! and stands on its own merit, I hear. Closest to me is in the Everyman King's Cross. Wow, never heard of it! A bit pricey, I see.. ah well.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for dinner - this time at The Crown itself, where we usually meet for drinks before heading somewhere else for dinner. Excellent choice. Which marks the beginning of a whole spate of Meetups in a row! When's the last time that happened..?

Next Thursday, I had booked with The Garden Talks - this online talk is How Do Languages Evolve? But as I say, have now backed out of that, and am headed instead to see The Southbury Child with UITCS.

On the 15th, back with the London Classical Music and Theatre Group for the opera Otello, at the Royal Opera House.

On the 16th, which is a Saturday, I had booked with Discover London (DL) for a trip to see a cart making ceremony. Just yesterday, I saw a new ad from UITCS - sounded good, 9 Circles - a psychological thriller that examines the ethics of war - at the Park Theatre, with lunch beforehand in Palmyra's Kitchen, next door.  And of course Eleanor, organiser of TunedIn London, advertised a concert through the World Music Meetup, for that evening, at City Hope Church. So now I'm going to all three! Should be able to squeeze them in, although I won't be able to join DL for drinks after if I'm heading for lunch..

On Sunday the 17th, back with Bucket List London - this time, it's a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I've never been to Sandown, so this could be interesting.

On the 18th, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

On the 19th.. I'm taking a punt that I won't actually be employed that day, and have signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I can't actually make it - although, even if I have started work by then (which would be surprising), perhaps I could take a day off.

On the 20th, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with UITCS to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On the 21st, I'm thinking of heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film that weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I can't this weekend.

On the 25th, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

And on the 29th, thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music.

No comments:

Post a Comment