Monday 18 July 2022

Cart Marking Ceremony, Play: 9 Circles, & Concert: Double Bill - Silvia Balducci & Adam Beattie

Last Saturday, I had booked with Discover London (DL) for a trip to see a cart marking ceremony. The bus made excellent time - which was just as well, as I checked the event page en route, only to discover that I needed cash! Had forgotten that. Well, when I got off, I had some time, and consulted Google Maps for the nearest ATMs.

HAH! The three nearest locations it sent me to - no sign of an ATM. Banks, banks everywhere, and nary a sign of cash. I finally gave up and joined the group, outside the Royal Exchange. Upon hearing my predicament, the guide directed me to the Natwest on the adjacent junction - and lo, I had cash at last! Honestly..

Now, this cart marking ceremony goes on for a bit, and how it works is that all the vehicles to be marked (an early form of licensing) are introduced to a delegation of grandees in a marquee in front of the Guildhall. Each is accompanied by a little blurb from the announcer - because each has something unique about it. Then each returns for a kind of lap of honour. So, as long as you arrive during the initial lap, where the vehicles are marked, you're guaranteed at least to see everything, even if you miss some of the descriptions. And so, our guide had wisely decided not to keep us there for the whole thing - particularly considering the likelihood that we wouldn't get a seat.

Instead, we had a brief history tour of the area! Talked about the buildings to be found, spoke a bit about the history of the guilds - and then off we went to the Guildhall, where we found a shady spot to stand near the entrance, from which to observe proceedings.


Some of the older vehicles seemed a bit small for purpose!


Not all the vehicles were motorised:



But wow, of all the horses pulling carriages of various sorts, this pair completely stole the show: breathtaking..


Another striking note was set by the vehicles used to bring aid to Ukraine:



Afterwards, the guide took us up to the viewing gallery on One New Change - where some people ate sandwiches they'd brought. Me, I needed to eat, imminently - the rooftop restaurant requires reservations, which are checked at ground level before you take the lift. Not to mention the price. So I just went downstairs with another of the group, and we pretty much ate in the first place we came to. Which happened to be Zizzi's! I know, I said never again, after the last time.. but actually, it was quite nice! The garlic bread was too salty, as usual, and there was too much, but the chicken escalope had a lovely, lemony zing. So I finally found something I like there! Must just remember to stay away from anything with tomato sauce - for this dish, it came on the side. And the wine helped everything down! Had a lovely chat with my companion too - sadly, no time for dessert.

Just last week, I saw a new ad from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - sounded good, 9 Circles - a psychological thriller that examines the ethics of war - at the Park Theatre, with lunch beforehand in Palmyra's Kitchen, around the corner. I'd originally agreed to lunch, but the way things panned out, of course I cancelled. Hightailed it over there after Zizzi's - Tube was the only way to get there fast enough. This was my first look at what they've done to the environs of Finsbury Park Tube Station - very impressive approach now! And I joined the group just as the house opened - so, just enough time to say hi. Seating was unassigned - I got a drink, and joined them.

A circular stage - kind of like a (small) circus ring. At the beginning of each new scene, a narrator explains to us what number circle (of hell) we're on, gives it a name - there are, of course, nine altogether. The protagonist, we discover, is an American "grunt" - as he says himself - stationed in Iraq during the war. We first meet him being (honourably) discharged - and none too happy about it. There's a lot of "SIR, YESSIR!" - now, and throughout. Quite loud then, in what is a small space - the smaller of the theatres here. Only four actors in all, and this "grunt" is onstage constantly, changing clothes when necessary, as the story jumps back and forth through the last year or so of his life.

His whole story slowly unfolds - and it's not a pretty picture. Something happened in Iraq that led to him being discharged, and has ongoing repercussions - it's not too much of a spoiler to mention that one of our group objected to both war crimes and the death penalty being highlighted in the same play - felt, with some justification, I think, that it was too much to hang the play on both. The group also felt, afterwards, that the play is mis-advertised - that it isn't a thriller. I suppose the "thriller" element comes in trying to figure out what really happened, as well as what this guy's fate will be.

Certainly, it's very intense, and very well-acted - the lead actor is compelling. This isn't an easy watch, but is very well-staged, with plenty of eye contact with the audience, and some clever manipulation of the space. It's based on a true story - in which the play's lead character comes across much more unfavourably than here - and much is explained in an interview that the lead actor conducted in advance of the play's run in EdinburghMy opinion? Well, the death penalty element doesn't appear in the true story, and is an addition. And I think it does confuse the issue, given the emphasis that is also put on the crime that was committed. True, in this case the writer seems to be conducting two arguments - which is one too many. Definitely an interesting production though - only runs until Saturday, so run if you want to see it.

And of course Eleanor, organiser of TunedIn London, advertised a concert through the World Music Meetup, for last Saturday evening, at City Hope Church. It was still a little early - wondering what to do before I headed out there, I was ethused by someone's suggestion of ice cream. Had some trouble finding any, though - although the theatre had them upstairs, there was no service there, and the fridge didn't even look to be on. No ice cream downstairs - and few enough places outside. It wasn't until I consulted Google Maps again that I was alerted to Creams Cafe, which I hadn't even noticed!

Perfect - I went in. My God, how understaffed they were, though! I was waiting so long to order that I took a seat intended for people waiting for takeaways - it was several minutes before the unsmiling woman behind the till took my order. First, she had to make three milkshakes - or some such - and take them to a table. I don't know what the other people working behind the counter were doing during this time. Anyway, she finally did give me what I wanted - and in this large cafe, I took one of only two tables that were actually empty of the remains of other people's food. The ice cream itself was perfect, just what I needed - but I was halfway through before the woman came out from behind the till and started to clear the tables. I don't know whether that was on account of the sudden apparition of someone else behind the till, or the arriving customers' complaints. But it was past time.

Picked up a bottle of lemonade before I headed to the concert - it was already getting hot enough to need something, and I had to take the Tube again, it's so far. First time I've taken the Tube to Bermondsey - crikey, the station is the size of the one at the O2, or Canary Wharf! Anyway, I strolled down to the church, said hi to Eleanor, who was taking names. Gosh, it's years since I've seen her! Had a drink in the bar, which was cash only - just as well I had it, from that morning. And while I was drinking it, I was accompanied by a fellow who turned out to be something to do with the evening.

You see, this was in memory of Ada Salter, a well-to-do woman who moved to what was then the slum area of Bermondsey, and was a great social pioneer, working to improve the lot of those who lived there. The chap who'd sat with me in the bar had written her biography. Anyway, so first up we had Silvia Balducci, singing Latin American protest songs - including the first I'd heard by Víctor Jara, whom I first heard of in a U2 song.


Unfortunately, she couldn't play everything she wanted to play, as they started late. Anyway, after the break, we had Adam Beattie and friends, for - as they said - a complete change of tempo; this was a relaxed, jazzy set, during which he eventually unplugged his guitar and wandered through the audience as he sang! Nearly tripped over someone en route, but hey. It wasn't me.


A lovely evening, as ever with the events this group schedules! Sadly, again, time got the better of them - I guess they were conscious of the neighbours, in this residential area. I managed to get buses back, what with not having to go quite as far, and the lighter traffic - and to memorise my route before my phone battery gave out! After all, it was nearly as busy that day as I was.. Again, no time to blog, as I had to be up early.

Yesterday, back with Bucket List London (BLL) - this time, it was a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I'd never been to Sandown, so decided this could be interesting. Crikey though, with the temperatures forecast for this weekend, I'd have to be careful in the great outdoors..

(This event is described in today's post Part III - simply because I ran out of space for all the labels I wanted to add!)

Tonight, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

Tomorrow.. I took a punt that I wouldn't actually be employed that day, and signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I couldn't actually make it. Another day predicted to be scorching.. shade recommended! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result. So now, instead, I'm headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a late-night gig at the Albert Hall - Prom 7 is Dido and Aeneas. Can hide indoors until evening.

On Wednesday, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with UITCS to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On Thursday, I'm heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Meeting someone for this, we are getting food beforehand at Wawa - she's keen on ramen. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film that weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I couldn't last weekend.

On the 25th, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On the 29th, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On the 30th, back in Greenwich with BLL - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day..

On the 31st, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On the 1st, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

And on the 2nd, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, Laurence has postponed that walk to this day. Which I can go on as well, assuming I'm not gainfully employed yet..!

No comments:

Post a Comment