Monday 18 July 2022

Sandown Antiques Market

Yesterday, back with Bucket List London (BLL) - this time, it was a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I'd never been to Sandown, so decided this could be interesting. Crikey though, with the temperatures forecast for this weekend, I'd have to be careful in the great outdoors..

It was just the night before that I thought to check how I was getting there - well, I've been busy! Some investigation revealed that Esher, where I needed to get the train to, is outside the Oyster zones, so I needed a train ticket. And that would be Southwestern. Ooh, it's a while since I last travelled with them! They've developed an app since, which I could get my ticket sent to - happily, they did warn me, before I selected the electronic ticket option, that I'd need the app. So I duly installed it, and got my ticket without issue. Very good value, the Sunday return - just remember to select the open return option if you don't know what time exactly you'll be returning. Doesn't cost any more.

Google Maps told me when I'd need to leave - and lulled me into a false sense of confidence. I had to get the Victoria Line to Vauxhall, you see. And lo, it turns out to be an awful trek from where I get the Underground to where I can catch that line. Which they didn't consider. Sure enough.. by the time we pulled into Vauxhall, my train had already left. And the killing thing is, they're only half-hourly: very vexing for someone used to Tube departures every couple of minutes.

Well, at least it gave me time to buy some water for the journey - which was very much needed. I messaged the organiser, who gave me his number and told me to call him when I got there. I caught the next train without incident. At Esher, I was consulting my phone about where to go next when I was passed by an elderly man and his dog. The human asked me where I was looking for - when I told him, he pursed his lips and said that was a very long walk - at least half an hour. Anyway, he pointed me the right way, and off I set. At a reasonable pace, in the heat. And no, it didn't take half an hour! (Perhaps it would have for him. Or the dog.) Lots of houses for sale or let along the main road, I recall - well, it's a busy road.


Inside, I was delighted to see the entire thing wasn't in the sun - I'd had visions of a hot day. But there were stalls in the building as well. I phoned the organiser, got directions to where they were - but wow, with that vivid shirt he'd have been hard to miss! Well, this is the weather for the shirt, to be fair. Now, it transpires that he - and the other person attending - are more antique affionados than I am: but I enjoyed just mooching around. I even did see something that I'd have loved to buy! They had a stall with old maps and charts. But Where Would I Put It? So I was the only one of us not to buy anything.



For lunch, they'd brought food, I bought a bacon roll from the food stall. And of course I had water. And we found a lovely spot - on seats in the grandstand, in the shade, and with a view that encompassed Heathrow to the left, the Wembley arch in the middle, and the City to the right. Ah, lovely. I even got to talk about U2. B-) The market itself wasn't as big as they'd expected, and we left for the 1.55 train. Except.. when we arrived in the station car park, the train was already stopped at the platform. The far platform. And thus, I missed my second train of the day. :-) Never mind, the company was excellent, and I had a lovely day out.

Needing more food, I decided the handiest thing to do - unsure of where to eat around Vauxhall, although I did buy another bottle of water - was to head to O' Neill's, near home. Turned out to be an inspired choice - they were, of course, showing the All-Ireland Hurling final between Limerick and Kilkenny, and the place was packed. A lot more Limerick supporters than Kilkenny, it turned out - many in county jerseys. I was lucky to get a table in the corner, even if I couldn't see the screens that were showing it - just the golf.

With the pub so packed, I was glad to have the app and order from the table. The food came without delay - and meantime, I knew by the crowd's reaction when someone had scored. I even knew which team, given that there were so many Limerick supporters! Now, I didn't have skin in the game - neither is my county - but hey, Limerick are neighbours.. so.. With all of this excitement, I had to know what was going on, so followed the live feed online. And wow, it was a close one - Limerick with the advantage in the first half, but of course Kilkenny had a hell of a pep talk at halftime, and came out fighting. It was a close-run thing - but Limerick carried the day. Hell, a woman at a nearby table, overcome with the euphoria, even made an attempt at Limerick, You're a Lady..

Lovely end to the day, and I spent the evening in. Blogging. But as this was a three-parter (because I couldn't fit all the labels in one post), it took forever.. just as well I have no work today, and could finish it, hey?

Tonight, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

Tomorrow.. I took a punt that I wouldn't actually be employed that day, and signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I couldn't actually make it. Another day predicted to be scorching.. shade recommended! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result. So now, instead, I'm headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a late-night gig at the Albert Hall - Prom 7 is Dido and Aeneas. Can hide indoors until evening.

On Wednesday, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On Thursday, I'm heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Meeting someone for this, we are getting food beforehand at Wawa - she's keen on ramen. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film at the weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I couldn't last time I was back.

Next Monday, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On the 29th, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On the 30th, back in Greenwich with BLL - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day..

On the 31st, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On the 1st, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

And on the 2nd, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, Laurence has postponed that walk to this day. Which I can go on as well, assuming I'm not gainfully employed yet..!

No comments:

Post a Comment