Sunday 17 July 2022

Opera: Otello

Last Friday, back with the London Classical Music and Theatre Group for the opera Otello, at the Royal Opera House. Job interview beforehand - went very well! despite the internet crashing just as we were finishing. But she did let me know that I'd passed that stage, and would be getting a writing test as the next step.

And so I legged it to the opera - unfortunately, not getting time to eat anywhere! I was starving when I got there, so queued to see what they had in the cafe - the best seemed to be the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. Which was more bagel than anything else, and doused in poppy seeds - the organiser remarked that it seemed "very dense", which is quite accurate, and I couldn't finish it. But it did keep me from fainting.


Seat BB26 in the slips. Remind me never to take this seat again! Or anything in the second row of the slips, really. The view was pretty non-existent, what with most of the action happening at our side, and people in the row in front leaning forward, and blocking what view there was! We discovered that we could get some kind of a view - at least see most of the characters who were singing - if we stood, but the lady beside me was seriously cheesed off, and left at the interval (thus giving me more space). My comfort level improved massively after that, since in addition to her leaving, the closest of the "leaners" left as well! so I actually got something like a decent view for half the performance. Still had to stand for the death scene, though (spoiler).

But as the organiser remarked, the sound is terrific there - and this score, and the singing, is tremendous! This is an opera I hadn't heard before, but wow, was I in for a treat. The group singing is breathtaking - and for the soloists, I'm sorry but the singer portraying Iago completely blew all the others off stage, in my view. Truly highly recommended - if you enjoy beautiful music, you'll lap this up. Runs on selected dates until next Sunday.

Afterwards, David from the group was kind enough to treat me to a drink in the nearby Coach & Horses - apparently the original owner, father of the current owner, was Irish, and this is an authentic Irish pub. And we had a lovely chat there until closing. By which stage, of course, I was still hungry! Now, the only place still open at that hour - and less than 10 minutes' walk away - was the Hippodrome. So off I went, and was deliciously fed - although sadly, I see the tea rooms now close at 1am, rather than 2. So I was just in time. Not to blog though - I had to be up early.

Last Saturday, I had booked with Discover London (DL) for a trip to see a cart marking ceremony. Just last week, I saw a new ad from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - sounded good, 9 Circles - a psychological thriller that examines the ethics of war - at the Park Theatre, with lunch beforehand in Palmyra's Kitchen, next door.  And of course Eleanor, organiser of TunedIn London, advertised a concert through the World Music Meetup, for that evening, at City Hope Church. So I went to all three! Managed to squeeze them in..

Yesterday, back with Bucket List London (BLL) - this time, it was a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I'd never been to Sandown, so decided this could be interesting. Crikey though, with the temperatures forecast for this weekend, I'd have to be careful in the great outdoors..

(All these events are described in today's post Parts II & III - simply because I ran out of space for all the labels I wanted to add!)

Tonight, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

Tomorrow.. I took a punt that I wouldn't actually be employed that day, and signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I couldn't actually make it. Another day predicted to be scorching.. shade recommended! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result. So now, instead, I'm headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a late-night gig at the Albert Hall - Prom 7 is Dido and Aeneas. Can hide indoors until evening.

On Wednesday, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with UITCS to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On Thursday, I'm heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Meeting someone for this, we are going for food beforehand at Wawa - she likes ramen. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film that weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I couldn't last weekend.

Next Monday, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On the 29th, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On the 30th, back in Greenwich with BLL - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day..

On the 31st, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On the 1st, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

And on the 2nd, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, Laurence has postponed that walk to this day. Which I can go on as well, assuming I'm not gainfully employed yet..!

No comments:

Post a Comment