Tuesday 26 July 2022

Play: Jerusalem

Tonight - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I had heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I was delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

Ran out this afternoon to get a new (black) watch strap - mine broke ages ago, and it's taken me this long to get a replacement. And there never is a place close by - at least Google Maps was right this time, in that the business exists - but had it on the wrong side of the road! Ended up going to another instead, which was the first I found. Grabbed a quick bite in Pret on the way home - no napkins in this one, and a lady directly in my line of vision, who decided to floss, now that she'd finished. Admirable, I'm sure - but quite distracting.

So, with one thing and another, I didn't get time to eat properly beforehand - nor even to take the bus! (I might have had time, but it would've been tight.) So, Tube it was - sitting right opposite a man carrying an enormous, white, stuffed.. something. He told the amused lady that sat next to him that he and his wife had just had some good news.. so he was taking this home to surprise her..! :-) I'm sure it did.

Alighting in Piccadilly Circus, I had to fight crowds in the station, with its confusing signage, crowds above ground.. but the theatre hoarding was in sight. So once I'd fought the crowds at the theatres I passed en route to it, I was good! Found the end of the fast-moving queue to get in - a cursory bag check, and the usher waved in the direction of a door that led to what looked like a fire exit. So, up I climbed - I knew I was in the right place when I passed a sign that warned that there were 92 steps to the balcony, and to take my time!

Well, I did. It's nearly spiral, it's so winding - around and around I went until I thought I'd keep going forever, but finally, a straight flight led to the balcony! The usher who showed me to my seat, mind you, did a terrible job - unclear about which row it was, and then pointing me at the wrong end! He looked quite surprised when, having ascertained that I was at the other end of the numbering, I trotted back out and around the back to the other side. Now, I got a very pleasant surprise when I did get there - I was in E6, and this seat, its equivalent at the other end, and the seats outside them to the end of the row, are far and away the best budget seats in the theatre. Set slightly back, they have massive legroom, and with nobody seated behind them, you can lean as much as you like! Which you will need to do:


Curious thing about the row in front of me, Row D - at my side (the low-numbered side), it has no aisle exit. Nope, none at all. Your choices are - enter from the next aisle over, passing everyone, or what the people tonight did, which was twofold: on occasion, they popped over the aisle railing, or alternatively, if you're not feeling so athletic, you can enter from Row E and duck under the railing between the rows, using the block that's positioned there exactly for the purpose of standing on so you can get down to Row D. I swear, I've never seen the like.

And so to the play, which started a few minutes after I arrived. It begins with a green fairy - or angel, at any rate she has wings - singing the eponymous hymn. Very sweet - but she never does get to the end, as the safety curtain rises to a scene of utter bacchinalia. Raucous music, flashing lights, scantily clad youth - the fairy legs it.

This sets the scene for what follows - the morning after the night before, which seems to have hosted the party to end all parties. This is presided over by Mark Rylance, who has a ball playing the life and soul of the party, a gypsy who lives in a caravan and is the go-to for all sorts of drugs and wildness. It is HILARIOUS! Never have the utterings of a troupe of hungover ne'er-do-wells been documented so faithfully. It took me a while to notice, but there is actually a live chicken, in a coop under the caravan - no idea what she thought of proceedings. (A notice I hadn't noticed on the way in assures us that the animals were treated very well indeed.)

It's a three-act play - with only one interval though, the second break being but a five-minute pause. During the interval, I felt inspired to get a drink - in solidarity, you know. Horrendous queue, but I got there in the end. And during the second, and particularly the third act, things do get darker - never quite abandoning the fun. But we begin to see that this fellow isn't the carefree soul he initially seems - and we begin to meet his enemies. Throughout, our hero stands defiant against the forces that would force him to normality - why, the play ends (in dramatic fashion) with him summoning the old gods..

Plenty to say, then, about defiance of authority, about being true to yourself - but mainly, this is just the best fun! Contains strobe lighting, loud noises, swearing, and a live chicken. Oh, and my advice would be not to sit in the front stalls - when he's cleaning up after the party, he's not too careful about where stuff ends up! You have been warned.. It's primarily Mark Rylance's show, and he well deserved the standing ovation that spread all the way up to the balcony, where I was. So, so glad I saw this - it deserves its reputation, it's excellent! Runs till the 10th - low availability every day, but they also have returns every day. GO SEE IT IF YOU CAN! Fantastic stuff.

Afterwards, I decided to head to the Hippodrome for a bite to eat, stopping on a nice, quiet Lisle Street - where everything was closed, this having been a long show - to call my mother and pretend I was home already. It took the guy on the door of the Hippodrome a minute to realise what I wanted (to go in), but another cursory bag check and in I went, getting disorientated briefly, and nearly ending up in the baccarat lounge! The tea rooms only seem to open at the weekends, but I found the bar fine to sit in, being a lot quieter on a Tuesday! You can order drinks at the bar, but food only from a table - so I did, from a friendly young lady who advised me that the "chicken poppers" were much better value than the "chicken tenders", as you get more for your money. I had them with garlic sauce, and they were delicious - as were the onion rings I ordered. So, highly recommended for a late bite. And hey, the buses home were quick - even if Google Maps had forgotten to mention the intermediate stops..

Tomorrow, I was to head back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books. But now, I'm headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a Grimeborn opera at the Arcola - I' Incoronazione di Poppea. I'm in the stalls - could have got a cheaper ticket in the balcony, but you can't take a drink up there! Just as glad not to be headed outdoors really - the very hot spell has passed for the moment, and the weather is cooler and in-between.

On Thursday - another Up in the Cheap Seats event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On Friday, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On Saturday, back in Greenwich with Bucket List London - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day.. Unless the rail strike scuppers it! He's considering cancelling. Well, I don't think the tickets are refundable, so if I have to head out there by myself, I will..

On Sunday, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On Monday, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

And next Tuesday, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, I had booked a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for last Tuesday. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result of the heatwave, to this day. Not that I'm not glad he didn't run it last Tuesday - but I hope I can still make it..

No comments:

Post a Comment