Friday 29 July 2022

Restaurant: El Inca Plebeyo

This morning, I had my final interview with a likely job prospect - fingers crossed! Unfortunately, this would clash with the building works in my apartment block, which have been plaguing us all week with ultra-loud drilling every morning! It's impossible to have a call anywhere in the building with that going on - I literally had to schlep down the road to Brunswick Square, where I found the quietest corner possible to have the call. My internet was OK, and I was OK for traffic noise - what I did have were skateboarders, over-enthusiastic dogs, and pigeons with a psychotic stare.. think it went all right, but honestly!

Tonight, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But then, Civilised London organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I went to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

I would have been in time, except that the bus had to have a change of driver. And there was no replacement driver, So we all had to get off, and wait for the next. Never mind, I wasn't too late.. with the huge crowd in the garden, I tried inside - which was empty as a tomb. And sure enough, there they were. The bar counter was still pretty busy though.. you have been warned. But anyway, we all met there in due course, and the chat was good as we recommended stuff to each other. Being busy beings.

And so off to the restaurant, a moderate walk away. Where we were given a table right beside the large, Ecuadorian family who, as our organiser remarked, were having everything on the menu..

Delighted to discover they do wine by the carafe, I ordered one - and a profusion of mushrooms: the mushroom ceviche, followed by lamb rump with mushroom, marinated in chili. I was to be surprised in my offerings - the starter was unexpectedly spicy, the main not spicy at all! It was delicious though, the spices working particularly well on the mushrooms, which were divine. The lamb was perfactly cooked, but honestly, the mushrooms won it for me. Dessert, frankly, wasn't one I'd go for again - the chocolate was sufficiently rich, but the advertised chili came as separate flakes, and I don't think it worked at all. Still, overall, a lovely meal - enhanced by delightful company, which we carried on to The Myddleton Arms (where our ever-generous organiser spalshed out on a round). Which was heaving, so we found it much more comfortable to drink on the pavement outside. As I mentioned during the meal, this was the first time today I really relaxed.. kudos to the organiser for an excellent evening! I always enjoy them.

And on the way home, would you believe, I left from the same stop as the day before.. which was still claiming to be closed! despite all the buses stopping there. I've complained.

Tomorrow, back in Greenwich with Bucket List London - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day.. Now, there's a rail strike, and he cancelled the first one - seemingly having missed my notice that I'd go anyway. So now, he says he'll meet me there! Ah now, life around me would be less surprising if you read the blog..

On Sunday, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On Monday, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

On Tuesday, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, I had booked a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for last week. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result of the heatwave, to this day. Not that I'm not glad he didn't run it when it was originally scheduled - I should still be able to make it..

On Wednesday, thinking of film - and v excited about what's coming up! Highest of the list is the NT Live showing of Prima Facie, the one-woman play with Jodie Comer, making her West End debut as a dynamic lawyer, whose world is turned upside down when she is raped, and I guess, gets to see the other side of the system. It's supposed to be an absolute tour de force, and is one I missed because tickets went so fast - well, now it is, as they say, coming to a cinema screen near you! In fact, it's showing in my local cinema, yay - not to mention that, as a member, I get to see it for free! And with three showings that day, even if I happen to be back working - which would be a very quick turnaround - I should still be able to make it.

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a concert by Damien Lewis at Omeara. Yes, the actor! I've never actually been here before - should be interesting.

Next Friday, I've booked for another of Laurence's tours - Wonders of the National Gallery. Which I can go on, as long as I haven't started work again - Lordy, I wish he'd do something on evenings or weekends again! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and will be trying, once more, to get my car serviced. Subject to availability of mechanics! So, not sure whether I'll get to a film, as of yet.

On the 8th - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

On the 9th, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely - assuming I'm either not working, or can get the time off! as it's at lunchtime. Close enough to the (potential) office that I might be able to risk it.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

And on the 10th, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment