Thursday 28 July 2022

Opera: L' Incoronazione di Poppea (The Coronation of Poppea)

Last night, I was to head back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books. But instead, I headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a Grimeborn opera at the Arcola - I' Incoronazione di Poppea. I was in the stalls - could have got a cheaper ticket in the balcony, but you can't take a drink up there! Just as glad not to be headed outdoors really - the very hot spell has passed for the moment, and the weather is cooler and in-between.

Took myself off in time to get something to eat - and didn't see anything around the theatre that enthused me more than O' Neill's (well, I do like it!). Fancied a chicken katsu curry - had a chicken katsu curry. V moreish! Was served quickly, set off again in good time - even though I was getting the bus. Which, I might add, was horrendously crowded. Arrived at the theatre with loads of time to kill, so got myself a drink in the bar. They only come in small glasses, so I had two! and in due course, tonight's organiser joined me there. Where we chatted for a bit before we headed in.


This is the view from my assigned seat. Mind you, my entire row was empty - so as soon as it was apparent that no-one else was sitting there, I scooched over to be a bit more central - mainly to be able to see the surtitles properly (to the right of this shot). I hadn't realised that there was a smaller surtitle board straight ahead of me - but it was just as well I moved to where I could see both, because the smaller board was difficult to read, with the top line a little dark!

So, the story is based on the real-life story of Poppea, second wife of the Emperor Nero. And it's a cracker - she married Otho, a friend of Nero's, apparently just to get close to Nero, who duly repudiated his wife, Claudia Octavia, so he could marry Poppea. Spoiler - she didn't last long. These all show up in the opera.

It's nearly three years since I was here last - but Grimeborn never disappoints. And how great to be so close to the singing - as someone remarked at the interval, they have great pipes! The volume alone is tremendous - but with such beautiful music, and so passionately performed, this is a real winner. In fact, I became so enthralled with the performances, I kept forgetting to check the surtitles to see what they were actually singing about! Absolutely stunning music.. the highlight must have been the duet between Nerone and Poppea, near the end, when he's finally got rid of Ottavia and can marry Poppea - the combination of their voices is electrifying! Wow, I don't think you'll get a better performed version of this - run and see it! Performances until Saturday.

And afterwards, got a drink at the bar - where a sharp-nosed bartender had a sniff, and asked whether anyone was wearing Opium? Well, that was well-done.. I couldn't even still smell it myself! Anyway, the organiser and I had a nice chat over one last glass. A lovely evening, both for the performance and for meeting what is a very nice group - look forward to the next one!

On the way home, I had to change buses - which turned out to be a curious experience. Because the stop where I was let off - had an LCD display that said it was closed! Hmph. Hadn't stopped me getting off there - nor did it stop all the buses that stopped there as I was waiting! Sadly, none of them were the one I wanted - and could I get any information out of the Buses Due app? Anyway, by the time I'd checked Google Maps - and found out I could have made my way home with any of them (which it had neglected to tell me in the first place) - they were all gone. And the next one to happen along.. was the one I'd wanted all along. Still no answer from the Buses Due app, which thought nothing was stopping there at all.. Anyway, it ran too late last night to blog, I was tired.

Tonight - another Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

Tomorrow morning, I have my final interview with a likely job prospect - fingers crossed! Unfortunately, this would clash with the building works in my apartment block, which have been plaguing us all week with ultra-loud drilling every morning! It's impossible to have a call anywhere in the building with that going on - I'm literally going to have to schlep down the road to Brunswick Square, where I should be able to find some reasonably quiet corner to have the call. I think my internet coverage is OK there - just hope it doesn't rain!

That night, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On Saturday, back in Greenwich with Bucket List London - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day.. Unless the rail strike scuppers it! He's considering cancelling. Well, I don't think the tickets are refundable, so if I have to head out there by myself, I will..

On Sunday, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On Monday, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

On Tuesday, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, I had booked a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for last week. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result of the heatwave, to this day. Not that I'm not glad he didn't run it when it was originally scheduled - I should still be able to make it..

On Wednesday, thinking of film - and v excited about what's coming up! Highest of the list is the NT Live showing of Prima Facie, the one-woman play with Jodie Comer, making her West End debut as a dynamic lawyer, whose world is turned upside down when she is raped, and I guess, gets to see the other side of the system. It's supposed to be an absolute tour de force, and is one I missed because tickets went so fast - well, now it is, as they say, coming to a cinema screen near you! In fact, it's showing in my local cinema, yay - not to mention that, as a member, I get to see it for free! And with three showings that day, even if I happen to be back working - which would be a very quick turnaround - I should still be able to make it.

Next Thursday, back with UITCS for a concert by Damien Lewis at Omeara. Yes, the actor! I've never actually been here before - should be interesting.

On the 5th, I've booked for another of Laurence's tours - Wonders of the National Gallery. Which I can go on, as long as I haven't started work again - Lordy, I wish he'd do something on evenings or weekends! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and will be trying, once more, to get my car serviced. Subject to availability of mechanics! So, not sure whether I'll get to a film, as of yet.

On the 8th - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

On the 9th, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely - assuming I'm either not working, or can get the time off! as it's at lunchtime. Close enough to the (potential) office that I might be able to risk it.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

And on the 10th, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment