Monday 18 July 2022

Edinburgh Comedy Festival Preview: Lucy Porter & Rachel Fairburn

Tonight, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This was for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn. Available from WeGotTickets, which I wish I'd remembered when I was looking for the ticket this evening!

I hid in front of the fan all day - I'd be lost without it, in this heat. Ventured out in the evening, figuring I'd eat at the pub. Boy, what a long, sweaty bus journey it was, though! I had a short - downhill - trot to the pub when I got off, and wow! Walking into the pub was like jumping into an ice bath. I was actually shivering. Probably due to the layer of sweat I'd accumulated. Soon acclimatised though, and it was lovely.

I ordered food at the bar and took a corner table. Now.. the sauvignon blanc is lovely, and I had plenty of it. The chips were lovely. The rest.. I had calamari and chicken schnitzel, both in breadcrumbs, which is how I come to say, don't have the breadcumbs! They were both tough - the chicken so much so that I couldn't finish it. But at least I was fed. It was far too hot for any dessert that comprised food that wasn't cold, so I didn't have any. At least they, too, have the app where you can order from the table - just be aware of what you're ordering!

Meantime, I'd posted a message as to where I was - and when the organiser arrived, he spotted me and I joined him. The others duly happened along. Yeeah. I remembered exactly one person from before, and he didn't remember me. But that's OK. Apart from a friendly and interesting mother and daughter though, this was - without exception - the dullest group I've been with in years. Crikey, how things have changed with this group. I mean, they are as they are - it's just a group I'll be wary of joining again.

Anyway, we headed downstairs to the comedy club at the appointed time - and both acts were decent, if imperfect. After all, this is a WIP show. Sold out, interestingly. I chuckled away - but in short, it wasn't a terrific evening. Couldn't honestly say it was worth the bus journey.

The bus times afterwards - on the display at the stop, as well as online - bore no relation to the actual behaviour of the buses! They happened along much earlier than predicted - I missed the first, but managed to grab the second, and was whisked home in no time.

Tomorrow.. I took a punt that I wouldn't actually be employed that day, and signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I couldn't actually make it. Another day predicted to be scorching.. shade recommended! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result. (I'm rather glad, that heat is most unpleasant.)  So now, instead, I'm headed with London Baroque Music Lovers to a late-night gig at the Albert Hall - Prom 7 is Dido and Aeneas. Can, and will, hide indoors until evening.

On Wednesday, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On Thursday, I'm heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Meeting someone for this, we are getting food beforehand at Wawa - she's keen on ramen. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film at the weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I couldn't last time I was back.

Next Monday, I was headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out had an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%! Sadly, this evening I got word that remaining performances of this production have been cancelled, due to covid. Still with nothing on Meetup that appeals, I'm back with TAC for a classical concert - Mario Brunello is playing Bach on on the violoncello piccolo, at Wigmore Hall. He's playing in the evening as well, but cheap tickets are available for the matinee.

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On the 29th, I was thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music. But now, Civilised London has organised an Ecuadorian meal at El Inca Plebeyo - so I'm going to that instead. His choices are always good. Meeting beforehand at The Canonbury Tavern.

On the 30th, back in Greenwich with Bucket List London - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day..

On the 31st, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

On the 1st, I'm going to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..!

And on the 2nd, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, Laurence has postponed that walk to this day. Which I can go on as well, assuming I'm not gainfully employed yet..!

No comments:

Post a Comment