Sunday 10 July 2022

Film: Elvis

Just back from Ireland for the weekend again! I finally got to see Elvis - in the Omniplex this time, as it's no longer showing in the early afternoon in Ennis. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, and reportedly as flamboyant as you'd expect from him, according to a glowing recommendation by someone I know who's just seen it! This is the story of Elvis (of course, there could only be one), played - most realistically - by Austin Butler, with Tom Hanks as his manager, Col. Tom Parker, and Olivia DeJonge as his wife, Priscilla.

Took myself off yesterday afternoon - and just as well I left early, with all the slow traffic I couldn't pass on the narrow roads! I just made it in time - and was slightly late (for the ads) by the time I'd bought some chocolate M&Ms, which I had a yen for. Now, I had an assigned seat - but as it was right beside someone, I just sat somewhere else. Which was perfectly fine. And had half the bag of sweets eaten by the time the feature started.

Oh wow, this is An Event. You kind of need to see it, if you have even only a passing interest. It really seems like being there, a fly on the wall, as these historic events pan out. I have to say, I agree with what I've heard about Col. Parker's accent being overdone in the film - yes, he was Dutch (although there was some question about whether he really had any nationality), but from what I've heard of the real man, his accent seemed all-American. And this Dutch accent seems a bit intrusive.

That's it for criticism then. As for Austin Butler.. wooh! I'll say this - it really helps that he has a lovely, deep voice - just like Elvis', in fact. He doesn't do a lot of actual singing - he does do a lot of wiggling! We have explained to us how his dad went to prison, so he and his mother were in dire straights, and ended up living in the poor, black part of Memphis. But oh man, was that a hotbet of musical innovation - and the young Elvis was enthralled by the entertainers he saw and heard around him, and by the gyrations, both of the musicians, and of the Evangelical congregation.

So, when he started to perform on stage.. this was the music he performed, and this was the way he did it! And my, did that start a revolution.. through the whole film, but not overshadowing it, we have a backdrop of race relations - segregation, the assassination of MLK, the assassination of Bobby Kennedy.. terse exchanges between teenage daughters, swooning over the man gyrating in front of them, and their stern fathers, appalled at the "negro" moves and music he's popularising!

I had to keep wondering what would have happened if he'd been allowed to do what so many did after him, collaborate with the (black) musicians he admired, give full rein to his crossover music. During the film, we see him sneaking off to black clubs, meeting people like B. B. King. Wow, what his life could have been - rather than the drug-fuelled haze it became, trundled out every night to entertain the hotel crowd in Las Vegas. The film does focus on that, but handles it quite sympathetically - in particular, we never do see his waistline expand like it did in real life!

The snatches of black music we keep hearing are divine - and watching this, you'd have to conclude that Elvis was the first real rock star, as we understand the term. Fabulous piece of work - completely engaging. Go see. Guaranteed, you'll come out humming some Elvis tune or other..

Afterwards, I went in search of food - but short of heading for the city centre peoper, my choices weren't great! I ended up heading out to the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, for a change - which turned out to be an excellent choice. Heading straight to the bar, I waited to be seated (like the sign said) - she suggested a booth by the bar, told me what the specials were. I ended up having the roast of the day (lamb) - ages since I'd had one! This was accompanied by some excellent wine, and followed by a most decadent brownie - yum.


The blog was delayed by the redoing of the film list, now that the full listings for London are finally out. Did better for food yesterday than today, I have to say - I didn't dare eat properly before my flight, not having much time, but of course it was delayed. And if I'd wanted to eat on the plane, I couldn't have - they never have the full complement of supplies these days, they don't refill during the day. And during the flight, they didn't even bother to wheel the trolley around - just made an announcement, listing what they had left, and asking people to press the call bell if they wanted anything. As far as food was concerned, they had "a few bars of chocolate"..

Nothing to eat on the Stansted Express either, of course. And with everything, by the time I got to London, it was too late to get anything decent. Arriving in Liverpool Street, I thought - well, I know where to eat here! Got a steak slice from Delice de France, as so many times before. Perhaps not the best of ideas - as sometimes happens, the filling was molten, and I could barely eat it. Burned my tongue quite badly. Ah well..

Tomorrow, I'm going to Favour, at the Bush Theatre - after much effort, as their website wasn't working for days! In fact, it seems to go down sporadically. I chose an unreserved seat, will be allocated one on the day. Anyway, I see TAC has now started selling tickets for this - gee, might be not only the cheapest, but the easiest way to book! Now only limited availability for Wednesday. Wow, was only there once before, 3.5 years ago..

On Tuesday, I booked for The Southbury Child, at the Bridge Theatre. But then I noticed that Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) is going, later in the week - so switched my ticket to that night. The theatre is most obliging, that way, and gave me the seat next to the one I'd originally booked. Which leaves me free to go to a film on Tuesday. Well, I just checked the film list - and I see I'm falling foul of the curse of the summer, where I run out of high-rated films. Had I not booked for Elvis on Saturday, it'd have been that. Not only that, but what was left at the top of the list didn't appeal - until I got down to Thor: Love and Thunder.

Stars Chris Hemsworth in the title role, with, jeez - Natalie Portman as his ex-girlfriend: Christian Bale heavily made-up as the villain: Tessa Thompson as a valkyrie, as in Thor: Ragnarok - although I think in this one she's been promoted: the voice of Taika Waititi as an old god (he also directs and co-writes): Russell Crowe as ZeusChris Pratt as a star lord (no, me either): Dave Bautista as a kind of sympathetic mercenary (sorry, I just don't follow this stuff in general!): the voices of Vin Diesel (as a talking tree) and Bradley Cooper (as his raccoon sidekick): Ben Falcone as the Asgardian stage manager (!): Simon Russell Beale as Dionysus (way!): Tristan (Thor as a kid) and Sasha Hemsworth (an Asgardian kid) - Chris' twin sonsMatt Damon (uncredited) as an actor recreating Loki's part in Thor - Ragnarok: Luke Hemsworth (yes, Chris' brother) (uncredited) as an actor recreating Thor in Thor - Ragnarok (how appropriate!): Melissa McCarthy (uncredited) as an actor playing Loki's daughter: and Sam Neill (uncredited) as an actor playing Odin. Gee, you think they all really wanted to get involved..?!

Anyway. I loved Thor: Ragnarok, which is hilarious.. this isn't, apparently, as good, but as I say, was top of the list of what's left! and stands on its own merit, I hear. Closest to me is in the Everyman King's Cross. Wow, never heard of it! A bit pricey, I see.. ah well. Predictably, it ultimately didn't hold water - its ratings have slipped, and now that I finally have the full film list, highest (that I don't think I'd hate) is La Vie Me Va Bien (Life Suits Me Well), a Moroccan film about a fellow diagnosed with a progressive neurological disease, and how his family cope with it. The trailer actually looks really good. Showing in the Ciné Lumiere. Too early to get food beforehand. Hmph.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for dinner - this time at The Crown itself, where we usually meet for drinks before heading somewhere else for dinner. Excellent choice. Which marks the beginning of a whole spate of Meetups in a row! When's the last time that happened..?

On Thursday, I had booked with The Garden Talks - this online talk is How Do Languages Evolve? But as I say, have now backed out of that, and am headed instead to see The Southbury Child with UITCS.

On Friday, back with the London Classical Music and Theatre Group for the opera Otello, at the Royal Opera House.

On Saturday, I had booked with Discover London (DL) for a trip to see a cart making ceremony. Just last week, I saw a new ad from UITCS - sounded good, 9 Circles - a psychological thriller that examines the ethics of war - at the Park Theatre, with lunch beforehand in Palmyra's Kitchen, next door.  And of course Eleanor, organiser of TunedIn London, advertised a concert through the World Music Meetup, for that evening, at City Hope Church. So now I'm going to all three! Should be able to squeeze them in, although I won't be able to join DL for drinks after if I'm heading for lunch..

Next Sunday, back with Bucket List London (BLL) - this time, it's a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I've never been to Sandown, so this could be interesting.

On the 18th, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

On the 19th.. I'm taking a punt that I won't actually be employed that day, and have signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I can't actually make it - although, even if I have started work by then (which would be surprising), perhaps I could take a day off.

On the 20th, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with UITCS to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On the 21st, I'm thinking of heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Unlikely to get to a film that weekend, as I need to get my car serviced for its NCT - sooner the better, and I couldn't this weekend.

On the 25th, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

On the 29th, thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music.

On the 30th, back in Greenwich with BLL - we're starting with the Old Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum. Was originally supposed to be the Queen's House to finish, but turns out they're booked out all day for a wedding, despite not having clarified that on the website! Then in the afternoon, we're headed to Eltham Palace and Gardens. Quite the packed day - the organiser's English Heritage card expires, it seems, so he's cramming everything in while he can..

And on the 31st, back with TAC for the opening night of I'm Not Myself Today: A Villainous Cabaret at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. An hour in which someone discusses with us why we all love the villain!

No comments:

Post a Comment