Tuesday 4 December 2018

Musical: Drip

Tonight, I headed off to the Bush, for Drip. Rather apprehensively, and doubting my judgement, after last night. Then, just as I was about to leave, my boss emerged from a meeting - and he's a chatty soul. Plus I needed to go to the loo on the way out. So when I did finally leave, I was convinced I wouldn't make it.

As far away as this was, Tube was the only reasonable option - Northern Line, followed by Circle or Hammersmith and City. And I have to say, both going and coming, the difference was marked - Northern Line crammed, the other lines half empty, more space, and a seat to be had. Most pleasant. Conversations to eavesdrop on. Easier to read the paper I'd picked up, too, which I had finished by the time I changed trains, on the way back. En route, I realised I'd forgotten to download my e-ticket - never fear, part of the journey is overground, and I got enough of a signal that I did it before I got off.

It said it was an easy walk from Shepherds Bush Market station - and sure enough, you have a choice of two exits, one of which is marked "Bush Theatre". Peep out that door - and you can see the theatre, right across the road! Imagine my frustration then, with it so close, when I just missed the crossing light, and had to wait for traffic to pass so I could dash across.. and it right on start time.. I bypassed the bar, seeing a door to the side, inside which a sign also said "Bush Theatre". I was a bit frantic, looking for the theatre itself - only to realise that, ah, this conservatory area actually had people queueing to get into the play! which was late starting. Phew. There should be a law against things starting on time - they so rarely do in London anyway! And it struck me that life is just a bit more relaxed in West London..

Seating is unreserved - and we each got handed a rain poncho on the way in. Uh-oh. And told to "fill from the front". Not on your Nelly - not if we were likely to get wet! Never fear - they're what you might call "decorative". Yes, we were called upon to wear them - but only to get in the spirit. Just like the flower garlands. And the bunting we had to string up. And the inflatables. And the wind chimes. And the flags we had to wave. Oh yes, this is a show that is keen on (mild) interactivity.

And it's only an hour long! But what a contrast to last night - not only is it shorter, it's cheaper, it's a helluva lot funnier, there's music.. the entire thing is a sweet, one-man show, where he describes his school travails, promising his pal he'll be in her synchronised swimming team for a school project, but neglecting to tell her he can't actually swim. He's so natural in the part, it's hard to believe he didn't actually write this! The whole thing was an absolute delight - highly recommended. Runs till the 22nd.

On the way back, Google Maps suggested I change at Moorgate, rather than Kings Cross St Pancras - good idea, there's much less walking! Coming out at Old Street, I had to pass through a rather intimidating group of youths in hoodies, loud music pumping from somewhere; about a dozen of them were hanging around the exit. This is the second night I've run into people like them around this area - with me coming and going so late most nights, I hope it doesn't become a habit! Feels iffy, you know..

Tomorrow, LDN Talks @ Night and London Speaks Sessions (both Funzing) advertised a "Winterville" talk on The Science of Santa, where we get the scientific explanation of how he does it. Taking place at The Windmill. However, seems they meant tonight, when of course I was busy. So instead I'm going to True West, with Kit Harington, at the Vaudeville. Cheapest tickets from the venue. There's an evening demo I'll probably have to duck out of early.

On Thursday, Hazel of Walks, Talks and Treasure HuntsLondon Guided Walks (and, indeed, Walking in London) has a Christmas Carol Tour. Now, the last two events I booked with her turned out to be no-shows.. the first might not have been her fault, as she was advertising someone else's event, but the second, she just missed the ball on and left three of us standing on a street corner. Whether this event happens is anyone's guess! Now, it's technically more expensive if you book on Funzing - but if you had my discount (Funzing_Fb20) ;-) it came down to the same price she charges on her own site, without the booking fee! So I did it that way. (Mind you, they finally seem to think that code has been used too much, and it no longer seems to work.) But then Henning, with the London European Club, advertised a Happy Xmaths evening at Imperial College, the same night! Festive fun for maths geeks. Plus it's free - you just have to register with Eventbrite. (I see London Social Detours is also doing it now - for a fee. Funny, I wouldn't have put her down as mathsy! Oh, also London Science and Geek Chic Socials.) Anyway, I thought it'd be great to get back with this group. And since I booked the walk with Funzing, I've cancelled and will get a full refund. And I feel no sadness at missing an evening with Hazel, after what's been happening. But gee, this evening is proving to be one of the more popular- now a colleague has booked it for his leaving do. So I'm now going to that instead. Nibbles arranged at The Enterprise.  

On Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at the Royal Court, for The Cane. Got the very last ticket, phew! although it seems at least one person did manage it after me.

On Saturday, with them again at the Orange Tree Theatre for The Double Dealer.

On Sunday, the Crick Crack Club is back at the British Museum for I Know Not, a full afternoon of Sufi legend.

On Monday, I'm off to the Bridge Theatre for A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, by Martin McDonagh. Starring Jim Broadbent, this is a dark take on Hans Christian Anderson! Our new starter saw it recently, and proclaimed it "weird". Well, weird is good. North London Friends are going as well - but they'll be sat down in the stalls. I hope I get to chat a bit with them - they're a lovely group, and I don't meet them enough.

Next Tuesday, I was going with them to The Convert, at the Young Vic. Discounted top-price seats, it seems! And then, the Crick Crack Club sent around an advertising email - and damnit if they haven't arranged a meeting that night! The House of Nine Lives is at the British Library, and has Nell PhoenixTim Ralphs, and TUUP talking about pussycats. Irresistible. Just got word last night that my ticket for the play has been sold on, so I'll get a refund - good stuff.

The 12th is our office Christmas party, but Let's Do This has advertised a Christmas dinner- which sounds a more attractive prospect. So I'm doing that instead. Places filled up quickly with regulars.

On the 13th, I'm thrilled to be going to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, at Sadler's Wells, with UITCS. He's a fantastic choreographer, but I've never before gotten around to seeing this all-male version. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. 

And on the 17th, the Crick Crack Club is performing Gilgamesh, at Soho Theatre. With Ben Haggerty in the spotlight, this will be a treat! Sold out, of course - you have to book these things early. Meeting Helen for a meal beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment