Tuesday 5 July 2022

Musical: Unfortunate - The Untold Story of Ursula the Sea Witch

Tonight - well, I finally saw Up In The Cheap Seats (UITCS)' ad for Unfortunate: The Untold Story of Ursula the Sea Witch, at the Underbelly Festival! A parody musical, right up my street - I hate how Meetup so often doesn't show me the events I really would enjoy! Just as well I saw this in time, before I booked anything else. So it was a hectic evening, with an interview scheduled for 5.30! Just as well I've finished work already.

The interview didn't overrun - it was just less than an hour - and I'd already looked up the fastest route. So off I galloped! Piccadilly Line straight from King's Cross to Earl's Court. And wow, was I glad I knew the geography of Earl's Court - I had forgotten the road names, but knew that the lifts were on the side opposite to where I needed to be! I'd have wasted several minutes if I'd got that wrong..

Wow, it was nostalgic walking these streets again - this is where I lived for my first few years in London, and walked to work every day along this route. Happy days indeed. Anyway, I quite quickly made my way to the venue - and knew when I'd got there:

Bag check at the entrance - and there the group were, sat at a table in what is a lovely, big venue: seating all around, food stalls and a bar at the edges (and toilets). We decided it was time to join the enormous queue to go in - and lo, it moved slowly enough that I had time to get a much-needed drink. Anyway, I had no trouble finding my ticket, considering the festival emailed me THREE times with the barcode! Seating is basically unreserved, although some is posher than the rest - which we didn't have. The usher eventually sat us together, at the side.

Well now, there's a sign outside saying that this is NOT a Disney production, and NOT for kids. Eh, indeed. As we went in, we were warned about strobe lighting, swearing, and partial nudity (there really isn't that much of the last, unless you count the topless mermen). What you do get is raunchy, cheeky, very very naughty..

But also full of beautifully performed numbers, clever lyrics - some stunning singing on the part of Triton. Now, never mind the kids - I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the Disney version! As a non-fan, I had an absolute blast - it's extremely silly, exactly what I needed right then. So, for once, this take on Disney is one for the folks who run a mile from Disney. Anyway, the perfect end to my day! Runs till the 16th - check it out. Tube home again for me afterwards - it's just too far for the bus.

Well, that was my last sociable thing for the week. Tomorrow, back with CT for a concert by the Royal College of Music Brass Ensemble, at the college on Shelton Street.

On Thursday, back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for The London Necropolis Virtual Tour. I pointed out to him that the registration link had the wrong date, and he said it was outdated, and he'd replace it and send me the new link - well, he's removed it, but no new link yet. 

And then - you guessed it, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again! I'll finally get to see Elvis - in the Omniplex this time, as it's no longer showing in the early afternoon in Ennis. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, and apparently as flamboyant as you'd expect from him, according to a glowing recommendation by someone I know who's just seen it! This is the story of Elvis (of course, there could only be one), played - apparently most realistically - by Austin Butler, with Tom Hanks as his manager, Col. Tom Parker, and Olivia DeJonge as his wife, Priscilla.

On Monday, I'm going to Favour, at the Bush Theatre - after much effort, as their website wasn't working for days! In fact, it seems to go down sporadically. I chose an unreserved seat, will be allocated one on the day. Anyway, I see TAC has now started selling tickets for this - gee, might be not only the cheapest, but the easiest way to book! Now only available on the 13th, with a waitlist for this Wednesday, however. Wow, was only there once before, 3.5 years ago..

Next Tuesday, I'm going to The Southbury Child, at the Bridge Theatre. I noticed that UITCS is going, later in the week - ah well.

On the 13th, back with Civilised London for dinner - this time at The Crown itself, where we usually meet for drinks before heading somewhere else for dinner. Excellent choice. Which marks the beginning of a whole spate of Meetups in a row! When's the last time that happened..?

On the 14th, back with The Garden Talks - this online talk is How Do Languages Evolve?

On the 15th, back with the London Classical Music and Theatre Group for the opera Otello, at the Royal Opera House.

On the 16th, which is a Saturday, I had booked with Discover London for a trip to see a cart making ceremony - and then Eleanor, organiser of TunedIn London, advertised a concert through the World Music Meetup, for that evening, at City Hope Church. So now I'm going to both.

On Sunday the 17th, back with Bucket List London - this time, it's a trip to Sandown Antiques Market. Well, I've never been to Sandown, so this could be interesting.

On the 18th, back with North London Friends! for the first time since before lockdown. This is for an Edinburgh Comedy Festival preview, at the King's Head in Crouch End, featuring Lucy Porter and Rachel Fairburn.

On the 19th.. I'm taking a punt that I won't actually be employed that day, and have signed up again - at last - for a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! I also promised to let him know if I can't actually make it - although, even if I have started work by then (which would be surprising), perhaps I could take a day off.

On the 20th, I finish my Meetup run with a trip with UITCS to Leicester Square Theatre to see Frankie Boyle, who has a work in progress show.

On the 21st, I'm thinking of heading - at last - to Summer by the River at More London. This is for a free evening of music, curated by Soho Radio. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 25th, I'm headed to see The Throne, a comedy about to open at Charing Cross Theatre, in which the Queen gets locked in a portaloo with a staunch republican. Time Out has an offer of £10 tickets for the cheapest seats for this - a saving of more than 50%!

On the 26th - tan-ta-ra! I finally managed to get a decently priced ticket to Jerusalem, at the Apollo. I have heard so much about this, and it's always at the top of the Time Out listings - nearly as hard as Hamilton to get a reasonably priced ticket for, so I'm delighted to get one, if only not to have to look any more.

On the 27th, back to Summer by the River again.. for Bumper Blyton: Improvised Adventures for Grown-Ups! Improvised comedy in the style of Enid Blyton books.. sounds jolly good!

On the 28th - another UITCS event that Meetup finally decided to flag to me. So I've booked to go with them to see Briefs Factory's show, Bite Club! at Queen Elizabeth Hall. Drag, burlesque.. should be fun!

And on the 29th, thinking about the National Theatre's River Stage 2022. This will be the first night of the Hackney Empire's Young Producers Weekend, and there'll be some dance and some music.

No comments:

Post a Comment