Saturday 19 June 2021

St. Patrick's Festival: Trad Music

For today, Cultureseekers had another online quiz - but honestly, it was about artists' self-portraits, and I'd be useless.So, of course, my plan was to come back to the St. Patrick's Festival website. I was tired last night, and there wasn't much on telly - so I went to bed and woke early, and unfortunately, morning tv tends to be terrible at the weekends. And so I started early with the website! 

Back to The Cobblestone Sessions, with musicians from the Cobblestone Pub performing at a converted factory, now The Complex arts centre. Between this morning, and the dearth of non-sport programming in the afternoon, I've now watched all of those, and can testify that they're very enjoyable. Except for Episode 4 - the singer featured in this episode sounded very po-faced, to my ears..

Next up after that was Lifting the Latch, which features a pair of beardy fellows performing their own compositions. Which were absolutely fine. Unfortunately, the music is accompanied by one of those highly arty films, which is itself accompanied by an extensive blurb on the page. Well, the kindest thing I can say is that it's different..

And so to the Varo Sessions, featuring Varo, a duo - one French, one Italian - who perform an interesting fusion of trad, classical, and folk. They travel from the Cobblestone to Walsh's, both known on the trad music circuit, and perform with other trad musicians - and this is really excellent! Varo have a really different sound - this was the longest piece I watched today, and I'm delighted to say it was by far the best!

And yes, there's plenty more on the website for tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment