Monday 7 June 2021

Film: Yesterday

Was delighted for my tv-watching today - it's a bank holiday here, and as the bank holiday movie, they showed Yesterday, a Danny Boyle comedy about a young musician and big Beatles fan. He's in an accident, and when he comes to, he finds himself in a world where nobody's heard of them! So, what's a lad to do, except.. pass all their hits off as his own.. Ed Sheeran also makes an appearance, as himself, having heard the lad, and offering him a position as his support act.

It's an enjoyable film. Plenty of Beatles music, of course - and I surprised myself with how much I remembered! Interesting question - if you were to pass yourself off as the writer of the music of some artist you love, how much of their stuff could you remember, assuming you could no longer look it up anywhere? It's also interesting to note the other few things that are missing in this alternate reality. I don't think he ever comes out of it.. Anyway, in the course of his meteoric rise to fame, he discovers, as you'd expect, what's really important. In other words, the love interest (Lily James, looking winsome). Intermittently hilarious (look out for the scene where his family asks him to play them something, then all get completely distracted), it's a feelgood movie. V worth watching if you're a fan of the music.

And they just advertised Crazy Rich Asians as the Saturday night movie. Awesome, another I hadn't seen.. being stuck in Ireland for the pandemic is really helping me get through my film list..

No comments:

Post a Comment