Saturday 26 June 2021

Film: Suspiria (1977)

Well, another dearth of programmes this afternoon. So I said I'd treat myself to Amazon Prime again. :-) Trawled through the list of horror films that are supposed to be on it - sadly, many actually aren't.. but then I came down to Suspiria (2018). Now, I remember when this was released - I was curious, but as with so many, never did get to see it. Then, when I checked further.. I saw that the original was also available! Supposed to be a classic. So I watched that instead..

An American student comes to a prestigious dance academy in Freiburg. She soon learns that there's something very odd about the place, as strange things start to happen, girls begin to disappear.. and what she eventually discovers is more horrible than she could have imagined.

Wow, this is weird. Right from the start, it's a riot of colour - predominantly red. Indeed, a lengthy introduction explains how they restored and remastered the original. I took some time to get the volume right - every time someone is killed, the soundtrack becomes a deafening cacophony; happily, it doesn't happen too often.

Several times, I thought about quitting it - but something made me stick with it. And ultimately, as it reaches its conclusion, it does become a little less surreal, a bit easier to get a grasp of. The soundtrack did also produce a little snippet of tune that became a hook for me. So, ultimately I found it watchable. However, I don't think I'll be hurrying back to it. A brief look at the remake tells me that there seems to be less colour - it seems to be a more serious affair. Well, might give it a try.

In the meantime, there's always the St. Patrick's Festival website to fall back on..

No comments:

Post a Comment