Saturday 26 June 2021

Quiz: The Great British Seaside!

Today, I had my reliable Cultureseekers quiz to fall back on - The Great British Seaside! Hey, I thought I might know something about it..

Up late last night, so it was a bit of a rush today. Mercifully, the demanding cat didn't make an appearance. I made it in good time, and tuned into the usual cacophony - people were chatting about their seaside experiences, but no-one could top the woman who informed us she was in Genoa. So then the talk turned to Italy.. when people diverted to politics, someone asked the host whether we couldn't start the quiz a bit early, so he did.

Yeah, I thought I might have a problem with these. Now, he didn't just whack up pictures and ask us to guess where they were - no, he had clues, such as something interesting to be found there, or gave us the name and asked us where it was near. For none of them did I have a clue. I mean, I'd know about Irish resorts - but why would I know about British ones? Not only am I not a beach person, but if I were, I wouldn't head to the beaches in the UK.. I was annoyed, mind you, not to get the resort where Fawlty Towers was set (Torquay - it's been too long since I saw the series): but the first one I did know was the resort where Dracula was set! (Whitby)

I did better with the seaside snacks and rides, which are mostly the same here. Ultimately, I got nine out of 25.. a new low, but as I say, to be expected. Ah, I would love to travel somewhere - well, I'm double-vaccinated now, so give it a fortnight and I can get out and about. In Ireland, anyway..

In the meantime, there's always the St. Patrick's Festival website to fallback on..

No comments:

Post a Comment