Sunday 27 June 2021

Film: Suspiria (2018)

Last night, nothing on tv, and I wasn't quite ready to go to bed yet. So I decided to try Suspiria (2018), which is available on Amazon Prime. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, after having watched the supposedly superior original. But I was curious.

Straight away, you notice the difference - for a start, there's a terrific Thom Yorke soundtrack. The action has moved to Berlin, some time when it was still divided - the school is right across the road from the wall. The American student is played by Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton is the school director - and, looking at the cast list, I see she also played the school founder (who, to be fair, is hardly ever seen, and heavily made up when she is) and, more impressively, she plays the psychiatrist who treats the expelled student, whose ravings gradually lead him to believe that something suspicious is going on behind the school's facade. Really versatile, that woman.

I said that the trailer led me to believe that the film is greyer - it is that. It is also a revelation. An hour longer than the original, it really is a remake - the American student falls more readily into the role they have prepared for her, and the story is generally more coherent. Oh, and they've completely changed the ending.. I absolutely loved this, it really appealed to my darker side.

Unfortunately, I was too tired afterwards to blog. TV was good enough today to keep me ticking over, and for Saturday, there's always the St. Patrick's Festival website to fall back on..

No comments:

Post a Comment