Saturday 3 February 2018

Walk: Secret Diaries and Public Spaces - the Legacy of Pepys and Wren

Today, I was finally back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group (fairly trips off the tongue, that!) for a free walk - Secret Diaries and Public Spaces: the Legacy of Pepys and Wren. As run by Walk London. I had a great time with this group before (well, in conjunction with the London European Club) - it's a shame they so frequently clash with other things I'm doing. Very, very glad it wasn't on till this afternoon, so I could relax - wasn't feeling the best, to be honest.

I did set out in good time, and it was a short walk to the bus stop. In persistent drizzle. Had to change bus at St. Paul's - silly Google Maps had me carrying on two stops further, when I could quite clearly see, from the map, that my walk would be shorter if I got off earlier! Behoves one to check. Anyway, I arrived at Aldgate Station in good time - before our organiser, certainly. Not before the Walk London guys though - they were already standing there with a form for us to sign. Once I'd done that, I bought myself a croissant from the adjacent Black Sheep Coffee stall. And introduced myself to the organiser, when he arrived - he'd forgotten me.

At the appointed time, one cheery tour guide introduced himself to us, explaining that the walk was run by TFL (!) and the other guy was there to watch the tail of the queue and gather up stragglers, and he himself was there to tell us historical tales. Righty-ho, good start, and off we went! Just down the road, he stopped beside the church of St. Botolph-without-Aldgate, to give us a potted history of, well, the foundation of London! Which was fine by me.. I love this stuff. I hadn't known, for example, that the original settlement of London was founded on three hills - Tower Hill, Cornhill, Ludgate Hill - or that William the Conqueror never actually conquered London, instead doing a deal with them that things wouldn't change. We also heard about the expulsion of the Jews from England, by Edward I in 1290. Our guide said that he was the one that made them wear identifying badges, sewn into their clothing - slight correction there, that was his father. Anyway, plus ca change, eh?

Mind you, I did wonder what all this extra detail had to do with either Pepys, or Wren..

And so, appropriately down Jewry to Trinity Square Gardens, where we had a stunning view of the Tower:



..and another long stop. He was on about Pepys now, who worked in the building to the side: there was a long and involved story about the removal of his bladder stones. It now started to occur to me that he could split this up a bit, stop a bit more frequently perhaps, not have these eternal stops where he goes on, and on..! Mind you, I was interested in the snippets that this park was where the executions tended to happen - including of Thomas More, and a few years later, of the architect of his downfall, Thomas Cromwell..

Stop #3 was by St. Olave's Church, where Pepys is buried. Cue a long sermon about Pepys and his mistresses.


By now, I was beginning to feel increasingly unwell - I was getting pins and needles in my arms, needed to sit - a ledge up the road looked appealing, but was of course soaked by the rain that was now heavier. I finally had to concede defeat, and escape to the nearby hotel to use their facilities. By the time I felt well enough to come out again, they'd gone, of course, apparently without missing me - I made my way home, and boy, did I suffer while waiting to change buses in the rain!

Some very interesting factoids on the walk. Too fast-paced though, for some members - I heard afterwards that one poor woman in our group, who'd missed us at the start, failed to keep pace at the end, and ended up taking a bus home! (Welcomingly warm, as she said - and indeed, it was freezing out..) So much for the guy who was supposed to be watching the tail of the group! Apparently, some people also lost track of the guide at the end - including our organiser. No, this walk has some way to go to be acceptable, amidst all the competition out there. The guide knew his stuff, but not when to stop talking, and we were exhausted just by listening. He walked too fast, losing people - and the guy who was supposed to be shepherding us.. wasn't. I couldn't honestly recommend it.

Tomorrow, another walk, with Funzing, via Walking in London - Forgotten Old London is one I've had my eye on for a while. Hopefully, more successful. And that evening, someone suggested a classical concert in King's Place - well, whyever not? So I booked. Close enough to walk home after, too.

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Hampstead Theatre, for Dry Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment