Wednesday 7 February 2018

Film: Phantom Thread

Yesterday, I was thinking of a film - and what came up top was Phantom Thread, purportedly Daniel Day Lewis' last ever film! in which he plays an ageing couturier in 1950s London, who falls for a young waitress. Closest showing to me was in the Barbican, which, as I've established, is within easy walking distance now.

Left in good time - my mother Skyped me during the walk down. Aren't smartphones handy? Anyway, Google Maps was sending me in by the main entrance, but of course, I know the Barbican a bit, and know that Cinemas 2 & 3 (I needed no. 2) are across the road from there - and straight ahead from my perspective, not around the convoluted corner that Google Maps fancied. I could see them from afar, anyway.

In the lobby - oh, blessed heat - there was a large cluster of ushers.. around the cloakroom. (?!) Lots of people hanging around the long, leather sofas, waiting for the cinemas to open. Anyway, I went and bought my ticket - it hadn't been selling out, so I skipped booking in advance and having to pay a fee. Poor me, I'd had to transfer money into my account to buy the ticket.. ah well, I'll be paid one day again. And since I transferred a bit extra, I had enough for a hot chocolate, from the adjacent cafe. She asked me whether I wanted it in a takeaway cup, for the cinema - and I must say, they do a lovely, decently cocoa-y hot chocolate! Highly recommended.

Sipping away, I waited - and it wasn't long before they opened. Gosh, I'd forgotten what a nice cinema this is - haven't been to the cinema here very often. And now it's local, goodee! Lovely, large, comfy leather seats, enough legroom that you don't really have to get up to let people past.. I'd chosen Row E, which has a ledge in front and is reasonably central. They'd warned me that this was an access screening - fine, I'd chosen this showing because it was the earlier one. Just meant that they kept the lights up until the film actually started, to help people with access problems, who might need to be able to see their way to their seat - and the film itself was subtitled. Could live with that.

Now. Daniel Day-Lewis, playing a couturier, is naturally surrounded by women in this film. Adoring women, I might say. Nice job, I'd imagine. In fact, the only other man in the film to get more than one line is Brian Gleeson, who plays Daniel Day-Lewis' doctor. Of all the women, some will be familiar - Lesley Manville plays the famous couturier's spinster sister, who lives with him, indulges his foibles, and helps run his fashion house; clients include the aristocratic (Gina McKee), and a stunning cameo by Harriet Sansom Harris, as a rich - but fundamentally unhappy - lady, about to embark on her third marriage and looking for a wedding gown.

Heavens, this is an elegant film. Set in the 50s, of course, the characters are subject to strict social mores; not a hair is out of place - generally. One of the first scenes spends a few minutes just showing us Daniel Day-Lewis getting dressed, with all the care and attention you'd expect. Everybody is terribly polite, and the world around him is rigidly set to his standards, things just as he likes them. Until he meets a spirited young waitress..

If you like clothes, there's plenty to love here. He employs the waitress as a model, and we get to see her - and others - in a procession of gorgeous frocks. Lovers of 50s clothes will enjoy the outfits off the catwalk, too. But don't worry, he's more than met his match in this young lady - there's more to the film than sewing, as the story takes a quirky twist! Intriguing - I really enjoyed it. And the performances are top-notch.. I will miss seeing Day-Lewis' gorgeous smile on screen, it lights up his whole face, and is all the more special for being rare. Go see.

Nice to be finished early too.. I paid a trip to the loo before leaving, and was momentarily confused by the taps, which have a motion-sensor disc beside the tap, rather than as part of it! Time to get home before the forecast snow, and eat.. and I could have blogged, but the site was down, so I had a welcome sleep instead!

Tonight, I've booked for Girl from the North Country - a musical based around the songs of Bob Dylan - showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. I hear good things! Collect at the box office again - it's ages since I've had to print anything. I have to skip a late meeting to go to it - nuts to that, it's only an all-hands, I'm not integral to it.. and they can't force us to stay that late.

Tomorrow, back with Meetup, and with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Divide, at the Old Vic. Interestingly, I see that London Dramatic Arts has scheduled a trip to the same play on the same night! Despite having a very good deal on seats in the front stalls, she only has one guest, so far - well, if she bought them on preview, she's added over 50% to the price! I don't dare mention to her that I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats, of course - she'd probably only take offence. I hear the production is four hours long.. ouch, and I have to be up early next morning to buy more U2 tickets! Once I transfer some more funds, of course. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm going to The Brothers Size, at the Young Vic this time. Again, I hear good things!

On Tuesday, Girls & Boys, starring Carey Mulligan, at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Natch. Another that's supposed to be excellent!

Next Wednesday, The York Realist, at Donmar Warehouse.

On the 15th, my £3.60 club has got me a ticket - for that amount - for Orpheus Sinfonia, at St. George's Church in Hanover Square. About time I was back with them - they do offer excellent value.

And on the 16th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - who else - for Frozen, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment