Saturday 10 February 2018

Restaurant: The Abbey Tavern

Back to Ireland for the weekend, and as usual, off to Quin this evening for a meal at the Abbey Tavern. Parking was busy, but not impossible - but inside, it was as busy as I've seen it! Both a christening and a baby shower - and as soon as the baby shower vacated their table, it was occupied by a similarly sized group who'd been waiting in the bar area. They just go from strength to strength here - booking strongly recommended at the weekends.

Well, we had our usuals - garlic bread, which is generally a side, but which we have for a starter: salmon, without the sauce, for my mother: chicken supreme for me, which comes in garlic butter. I've been known to change my choice in the past, but honestly, although the aforementioned dishes are excellent, there are several that aren't, and I'm tired of ordering steak and not knowing whether it's going to be too tough. The stew is too heavy for me, the stir-fry too salty. They once had a special of chicken topped with bacon and cheese, and I look forward to the day that that returns - it was delicious!

As I say, what we had is excellent - pity they don't vary their menu more, but they're generally known to be good: and combined with value for money and the friendliest service around, it's easy to see why they're increasingly popular.

Back to London tomorrow, and the atrocious weather we've been having is supposed to give way to yet another cold snap - better for flying, certainly! On Monday, I'm going to The Brothers Size, at the Young Vic this time. Again, I hear good things.

On Tuesday, Girls & Boys, starring Carey Mulligan, at the Royal Court, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Natch. Another that's supposed to be excellent!

On Wednesday, The York Realist, at Donmar Warehouse.

On Thursday, my £3.60 club has got me a ticket - for that amount - for Orpheus Sinfonia, at St. George's Church in Hanover Square. About time I was back with them - they do offer excellent value.

And on Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - who else - for Frozen, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment