Saturday 17 February 2018

Supercalifragilistic Walk

It took me a while to find something for today! Now, London Social Detours were on a tour of the Suffragette Exhibition at the Museum of London - which seemed the most interesting thing on Meetup. (Must check out that museum - it's walking distance from me now, and they do seem to have a lot of interesting stuff.) Anyway, thing is, despite the exhibitions being free, London Social Detours was charging £3. As usual. I understand they have costs.. but since the Man with the Hat retired, few groups in Meetup seem to me to be worth paying extra for, and not this group. So my rough plan was to go on my own, and avoid them.

Until.. I got an Eventbrite email on Thursday, advertising a Mary Poppins walk! Only one in London, apparently, run by an American lady who seems to run some fun tours.. I couldn't resist, so I booked that. We were to meet at St. Paul's.. Feed the birds, tuppence a bag.and wouldn't you know it, she sent an email yesterday to say I was the only booking! That'd be the second time that's happened with me on a walk..

Thank goodness it was a late start - I needed the rest. And I had time to get some food in. So I set off in good time - I can walk to St. Paul's from where I live now, would you believe! Now, that is impressive.. Anyway, I beat her to it - just. You couldn't miss her, in Mary Poppins costume.. I swear, no-one else on the streets of London can attract such notice! And as we walked around, security guards everywhere seemed delighted to see her, greeting her with a cheery smile and often a wave. Hell, one guard even joined in with her in the movements for Chim-Chimney..

Ah yes, movements. :-) You see, this lady is every bit as perky as Mary herself, and as she leads you through town, you will get the singing, the dancing.. everybody knows the costume, too, and she had people hailing her across the street, people wanting photos.. one woman was absolutely intrigued, took a photo, and when she heard about the tour, said her girls would absolutely love it! I felt like I was walking around with a movie star.. Be warned, you will be participating in some of this dancing and such.. ;-)

We were in many places I knew - some I didn't though, and I hope she'll forgive me for divulging one of her stops, on top of One New Change.. it's a shopping centre, where you can get a lift up to the roof terrace, and the most gorgeous view over London - for free! Terrible queues though - but you know, not for Mary Poppins!



More photos here. There is a guided tour aspect to this as well, and she weaves some non-Mary Poppins history in with the rest. In all.. this is one of the most fun tours I've seen, led by an indefatigable Mary Poppins, who obviously loves her work. Kids would love it, Mary Poppins fans would love it. Go on, see London in a new way.. she's got something quite unique going on.

Tomorrow, I'm doing another chocolate tour - different one from before - with Funzing, courtesy of Walking in London. Earlier start, nuts.. well, I'll be to bed early, though.

On Monday, I'm back to Showstopper! at the Lyric. (Durnit, another I could've walked to, last year!) No problem seeing this more than once, they base every night's show on audience suggestions (roughly), so it is a different show every night..

On Tuesday, I'm back with North London Friends for A Passage to India, at the Park. Last time I was with them, someone asked me whether I was coming to this, and I said no.. it's hard to keep track, though!

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is headed to Picnic at Hanging Rock - nice and close, in the Barbican. I remember this as quite a disturbing film - will be interested to see the stage version.

On Thursday, Up in the Cheap Seats again, for Beats on Pointe. Unfortunately, this is in the Peacock, rather than the closer Sadler's Wells. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 26th, I'm off to see Jake Bugg at the Palladium (yes, another that used to be walking distance..) Honestly, I'd never heard of him, but he sounded ok on YouTube.

On the 27th, an opera in Sanskrit..! without subtitles. Satyagraha is at the Coliseum, and is about Gandhi. So I should figure it out. Gosh, it's ages since I've been there..

On the 28th, Summer and Smoke (Tennessee Williams) at the Almeida. Does include actual cigarette smoke, and a gunshot. North London Friends are going, but charging extra, so I'm going solo. Performance sold out now..

On the 1st, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Bridge Theatre, for what I hear is a stunning performance of Julius Caesar. You get the choice of being part of the crowd - I'm not. Modern setting.

On the 2nd, back with North London Friends, at Hampstead Theatre, for Acceptance.

And on the 3rd, Up in the Cheap Seats, and Beginning, at the Ambassadors Theatre. For once, not an official ticket for this - got better value with What's on Stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment